Chapter 1.

My name is Edward Anthony Mason Cullen. I live in a small town in the state of Washington, called Forks, where I live with my adopted family.

For the past many, many years, I've been going to high school, just to play human. Nothing really new / interesting ever happens. Today though, Police Chief Charlie Swan's daughter will be enrolling in Forks High School. I'm at the our lunch table, with Rosalie, Emmett, Jasper, and Alice. All day, I've been hearing people's thoughts about the new girl. She's the shiny new toy.

I hear someone, Jessica Stanley, explaining something about us. I look at the new girl, Isabella, or Bella, as she prefers. She's pale for a human, but when I try to hear her thoughts, it's empty, like she's not there, except she is.

Jessica is explaining to the new girl, "That's Edward. He's gorgeous, of course, but don't waste your time. He doesn't date. Apparently none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him." Jessica sniffed, as I tried to hide a smile. She was lucky I wasn't interested in her. What's she thinking? Is she scared of the Cullens yet? Emmett asked me through his thoughts. I didn't respond, not wanting to admit I couldn't read her mind.

I loved having my own table in Biology II. It gave me time to think. I looked up to see the new girl, Bella, walk in. As she walked by me, I stiffened. Her blood smelled so sweet, compared to any other human's blood. I knew she would have to sit next to me, as there was no other seat available in the classroom. The class period seemed longer than usual. The whole hour, I was thinking about ways I could kill that innocent girl sitting next to me. I would have to kill the witnesses too, but something inside of me told me to hang on. I knew Carlisle would be disappointed in me if I killed her. He would forgive me, I knew that. I would just have to switch classes to avoid her. The bell rang, bringing me out of my deep thought. I jumped up, and fled the room as fast as I could, human speed, of course. Once my classes were over, I went to the office to see if I could switch classes. Mrs. Cope, the secretary looked up as I walked in.

"Hello, Edward. What can I do for you?" she asked. I really shouldn't. No, he's too young.

I smiled my most dazzling smile, and asked in a soft voice, "I was wondering if I could move my biology class to a higher level." And smart, too! All the Cullens get perfect A's. Their mother probably tutors them. It must be something like that.

"I'm sorry, Edward. Mr. Banner's physics class is pretty full right now." She replied.

"Please, Mrs. Cope? I wouldn't be a problem," I tried again.

She shook her head sadly. I do want to help him. Wouldn't be a problem? Of course not. Never had trouble from any of them. Still... "I'm sorry. There just isn't enough room."

"Then could I have a free study period?" There had to be some way I could avoid that Swan girl. Some way, to prevent myself from killing her. Just then, the door opened, bringing in a breeze. I instantly smelled that girl's blood. Turning to Mrs. Cope, I said stiffly, "Never mind. I see that it's impossible." And with that, I left.

I slid into the Volvo, where my siblings were already waiting.

"Edward?" Alice asked. She seemed worried.

I just shook my head, and pulled out of the school parking lot. I soon sped out onto the road.

"You're leaving?" Alice asked, her voice quiet.

I didn't know when I had made up my mind to leave Forks, but I knew it was the right thing to do. I saw in Alice's mind me stalking her... then switching to me leaving to the Denali Clan, where our friends were.

Carlisle lent me his car, which had a full tank of gas. "Do whatever you need to do to keep Bella safe. Charlie would die if her lost her" he told me.

I just nodded, unsure what to say, then sped off toward the Denali Clan.

I was sitting on a mound of snow, playing with snow in my hands, my mind somewhere far away.

"Hey Edward." I turned around to see Tanya standing behind me, holding a snowball.

Tanya, Irina, and Kate were vegetarians like us, though they had decided to become vegetarians over time, unlike my clan. Tanya sighed, then stood up.

"Edward. I know you didn't come here for me. So why?" She asked.

I couldn't hold it back any longer. "I had to leave Forks. The blood of some of the humans was just too tempting." Well, the blood of one of the humans, anyway.

Tanya looked at me, smiled, then said, "Well, in case you leave before I have another chance, goodbye, Edward."

"Goodbye Tanya."

She left, running so fast that her feet didn't have time to sink into the snow. I turned the other way, toward my home, and ran off.