More than Friendship

Takaya hadn't always felt this way for Ren- this deep affection and caring for him. In fact, his crush on Ren had been a surprise when he first realized it, around when he and Ren had first became friends.

Takaya glanced down at his and Ren's hands, fingers laced together, as they strolled along the path in the fading light. It was nearly dusk when baseball practice had ended, and ever since he and Ren had first kissed during that fateful game, Takaya and Ren had always walked home together.

Ren was walking along wide-eyed, grinning at the fading colors of the sunset washing over everything, and gasped softly as the first firefly of the night appeared. He stopped walking, and turned to slowly take in the whole scene, eyes following the small, glowing bug the whole time. Stepping back, Takaya smiled softly at his boyfriend. This was always his favorite part of the night, watching as the animals just waking up made Ren's smile even brighter, no matter how many times it happened. He gave a small, happy sigh, and, under the peaceful mood of the evening, thought back to when he first realized he liked Ren.

It had not been long after Takaya and Ren became friends that Takaya began to like him. In fact, it was shortly after they had grown close enough to call each other by their first names. Takaya and Ren had been sitting together an watching TV, when during the commercial break the conversation changed to what they planned to do in the future. Graduation was only a couple years away, and both needed to start planning for what they wanted to do.

"You know, Ren, as much as I love baseball, I don't think it's something I want to be doing for the rest of my life." Takaya stretched, crossing his arms behind his head before settling back into the couch. "I think, one day, I'd like to be a reporter or something. Don't laugh, I'm serious! I know, it's a bit stupid to think of me standing all serious in front of the cameras, but I think that's what I want to do. Anyways Ren, what about you? What do you want to do?" Takaya turned to face his friend, who blinked quickly and blushed before answering-

"Well, actually, I did want to continue b-baseball when I'm older, definitely in college, but now I'm not entirely sure for after that." Ren looked down for a second before continuing. "Truth is, when I was younger, I always imagined settling down, getting married, having a family, all that stuff, But n-now, I don't know how I could balance both of my dreams at the same time."

Takaya smiled at his friend, and encouraged him. "No, I'm sure you can do both. You said you wanted to be a dad someday?"

As Ren began to explain, Takaya listened intently, happy to be hearing his closest friend's thoughts. He listened closely, drawn in by Ren's detailed description of his hopes. He imagined each idea in his head, picturing it just as Ren described it, seeing Ren dropping of his kid at school, watching as Ren arrived home from work, worn out from a long day before being greeted by his family. The more he listened to Ren's dreams, the more Takaya was sure he wanted for his friend to achieve his goal. When Ren finally finished, he turned back to Takaya and looked at him, staring deep into his stormy gray eyes.

"What do you think? It's stupid, isn't it?" Ren looked back down. "I know, these are just dreams. I just had to tell them to someone, at least once." He looked back up at Takaya, and smiled gently. "And I trust you, so that's why I told you."

"Shit, Ren, your dream isn't stupid, or ridiculous, or any other negative thing you think it is. If you want it, go for it! If anyone could be a great father while maintaining a professional baseball career, it's you." Takaya grabbed Ren by the shoulders and turned him so they faced each other. "You are the most determined, slightly stubborn, and caring person I have met. You can do it."

They both turned back to the TV, while Ren flushed slightly and gave a small "Thank you!" before returning his attention to the show.

Returning back to a comfortable position on the couch, Takaya began to think over what he and Ren had just discussed. Did I mean what I said? he thought. Sure I did, I meant it 100%. But then, why do I care so much for him, and want to make sure he's always happy? Sure he's my friend, but isn't this going a bit past friendship? Takaya glanced back over at Ren, looking over him in his slightly-wrinkled shirt and messed up hair. He is really cute tho- Crap

Takaya quicky turned away from Ren as he blushed. Did I just think that? He looked back again at Ren, and turned away for the second time. Yepyepyep definitely cute most definitely cute. SHITFUCKCRAP AM I GAY?? AM I IN LOVE WITH REN? J-just shut up, Takaya, you can think about this later.

Pushing his thoughts aside, Takaya faced Ren and cleared his throat. "Ready for dinner yet?"

Ren had finished spinning around and stopped to look at Takaya. "Are you ready to continue?

Takaya smiled at Ren, and said, "Sure, but first-" He picked up Ren in a hug, lifting him off the ground and swinging him in circles as they kissed in the finals rays of sunlight, while the moon shone in greeting to the world. Their mouths pressed hard against each other, as if trying to express the full measure of their affection for each other.

Finally slowing and setting Ren down, the two boys broke apart from each other, breathing hard, and gazed at the other in the moonlight.

"I love you, Ren."

"I love you too, Takaya."

They both linked hands and walked each other home under the watch of the night sky.

******* Author's Note*******

Hey guys! Here is the second one-shot of my book (sorry it took so long, I've been a bit busy). Please vote and comment if you liked it, and leave suggestions for future one shots! ^-^