Why Him? - Chapter 5

Depuis le début

"Ella, why are you so nice? You need to be tough sometimes! You can't let people walk at you like a rug!" She says in a confident manner.

I pout and scrunch my eyebrows, "I don't let people walk on me! And I'm a person not a rug!" I try to point out. "And...and...and if you're nice to people then they'll be nice to you too! It's called mutual respect!"

"You're so nice and innocent, it's kind of funny."

"Oh, so that's what people mean when they call me funny." Finally realizing what she said at first, "Hey! I'm not innocent! Being innocent isn't funny!" Oh my goodness gracious, I'm so bad at these conversations. Why am I defending myself like this?

"You just declined and then you changed your mind," A smirk creeps upon her lips.

I tried my hardest not to blush. Why is she torturing me? Doesn't she see that I'm not good at these situations?

"Ella! Daydreamer," I glance at the caller and realize that it was my stuffed brother. "Are you going to take your seat or are you just going to stand there?"

A few eyes turn to me...oh dear no, please, I cannot handle those stares.

Does my outfit look slutty? Is there something wrong with myself?

"What are you waiting for Ella?" Alpha Hemington gestures towards the empty chair next to my brother. Was that available chair really for me?

Staring at the ground, I walk towards the chair without making any eye contact. I slowly lift my head up to check if the people are still staring, gosh this makes me so nervous. I thank the heavens once I see that only a few of them are staring.

"This tastes great by the way. We should make you cook for the pack every day if you're going to be cooking these meals." Alpha Hemington says.

My face flushes. I curse my mind for not taking compliments so easily! "I'm glad that you like it alpha, but you should also acknowledge Miss Lyn's great cooking skills too. She's much more experienced than me."

"She's got that right! Finally, someone acknowledges me!" Miss Lyn yells.

"I always tell you how much of an amazing cook you are!" Derek pointedly looks at Miss Lyn. His smile is wide yet his mouth looks like it's going to burst with all its content.

Miss Lyn crosses her arms together and whips her hair to the side, "You use those words against me. That's not fair."

Dad jumps in the conversation, "Let's just agree that both Ella and Miss Lyn are good at cooking." He turns his head to look at the both of us, "We thank you both for feeding us today and in the future days."

"Thank you," Miss Lyn says, appreciated.

We continue to eat our dinner with small but meaningful conversations. Alpha Hemington was discussing about the pack's weekly agendas which consisted of mostly trainings and the small pack gathering that we will be having next Friday.

"That will do, oh and Trent," Alpha Hemington's gaze shifts to Trent who was currently indulged with his platter of food. "You do know that we will let you handle the pack for a whole weekend, am I right?" Trent nods his head, agreeing to what he's saying. "I expect you and Chase to be responsible."

"Of course alpha," Trent glances at me and smiles.

With that said, we continue to eat until it was time for clean up.

"What are you still doing here Ella? You're not in charge of the dishes tonight." Derek raises an eyebrow, "Let the men handle this."

"But-" I try to say but sadly, he beats me to it.