She was quiet for a long time, and I saw so many emotions cross her face, disbelief, sadness, anger, and guilt. I understood them all, except for the last. Was she feeling guilty for getting married, when we were meant to be together? I was hoping that was the case, because I could use that to my advantage. Yeah, it was wrong, but I needed to do everything I could to get her back. We belong together.

Finally she spoke, “Devin, your cheating was a big reason for my leaving, bu-”

“I know that, but I promise never to do it again. I’m a changed man.” I tried to convince her.

She took a deep breath, “That’s nice to hear, but you didn’t let me finish. Your cheating was a big reason I left, but it wasn’t the only reason.”

I didn’t understand what was going on as she got up to go in the other room. What else had I done?I truly loved her, despite the cheating. I never hit her, ever. Then she returned to the dining room with a pink blanket over her shoulder that seemed to be moving. Confused, I watched as she removed the blanket revealing a baby. I felt like I was kicked in the gut.

She had a child with that human. That should have been my child.

My body burned with rage and my heart felt like it was torn from my chest. I could feel my wolf wanting to be let out. Oh, so now he makes himself known.

Then it dawned on me, she was only gone six months. Werewolves carry their pups for five months, however, if they mate with a human, they carry for the full nine months.

So that means…?

She cradled the baby in her arms and pulled the blanket back, revealing a head full of black hair just like her mother, but the eyes, they were the exact same eyes I looked into everyday in the mirror.

My breath caught in my chest. My head was spinning. So many questions were going through my mind as I stared at this beautiful child, that I now realized couldn’t be anyone’s but mine. I wanted to hold her, and smell her fresh scent. Sensing what I was feeling, Samantha brought the baby to me and gently placed her in my arms. I was stiff at first, not wanting to hurt this precious person, and then I relaxed with the warmth she offered. I stared at her in awe, that I had helped create something so amazing was beyond me. She looked back at me and smiled before sticking a chubby fist in her mouth trying to suck away at it.

It was that very moment that I fell deeply, and whole heartedly, in love with my daughter.

“I couldn‘t risk raising my daughter to believe it was okay for a man to repeatedly cheat on his wife. I wanted her to be respected and cherished, and I thought at the time, she wouldn’t learn that if we stayed with you. I know I shouldn’t have kept her from you, but I was just too hurt and confused to think straight.” Samantha explained.

I looked up and met her tear streaked face and felt some of my joy fade. She kept my child from me. I wasn’t there to witness her grow with my seed, or cater to her every need and craving. I didn’t get to see my child come into this world. All because she was hurt and confused. I would have changed my ways as soon as I found out. Family was important to me, I just made some really stupid decisions. I felt tremors run through my body, my wolf needed to be let loose. He wanted to both run off the pain flowing through us, and rejoice in the blessing of our child. 

After a quick kiss to her head and a sniff of her scent, I handed my daughter, who’s name I had yet to ask, to Samantha. Being able to feel my emotions, she understood what I was going through and the remorse on her face soothed me somewhat, but she had a lot to answer for once I got back. Giving my daughter one last longing look, I turned and ran out the back door. Reaching the woods, I didn’t bother to remove my clothes, as I gave my body up to the transformation. My bones shifted and rearranged themselves to that of my sandy wolf. As soon as my paws touched solid ground I was off and running. Pushing myself to the limit of my endurance, never breaking stride.

I ran off the pain of losing my mate.

The hurt of not knowing my daughter.

And the sadness, knowing that my role as husband and father had been filled by someone else.

There was no way I would let that continue. Now more than ever, Samantha needed to come back home. She had a pack to help me lead, and we had a daughter that needed to be raised to one day take over for us. Samantha was stubborn, and I knew she would fight me every step of the way, probably out of some misguided idea that she had to honor the oath she made to her husband.

It didn’t matter what I had to do to persuade her.

She was coming back with me, so was my daughter. 

Even if I had to bring the human along with us.

Right now all that mattered was my daughter, and my pack.

Once I took care of those, I would work on my mate. It wasn’t going to be easy, and I would have to endure the pain of seeing her with him, but as long as she was on my territory, splitting them up would only take a matter of time. I was sure of it.

__________________________________________________________

Sorry for the wait and short chapter, but I knew you guys were anxious for another upload so this is what I have right now. I hope to have another one for you tomorrow. Thank you for voting and commenting, but most importantly, for being patient with me:) Hope this was enough to hold you over for now...

kauigirl~