Chapter 16: Mind the Gap

Start from the beginning

"With two stopovers," Lena added nodding while placing a pizza box and three beers on the coffee table.

They always found a way to make me smile, even in the worst of times, "Could you please focus on the relevant facts?" I said chuckling while resting my head back on the couch.

"Well, I think you using the worst option ever to travel back home is pretty relevant Liv, I mean wow! You must have been desperate..."Amy shook her head still in disbelief.

"I don't want to add drama to this, but J is pretty pissed off at you, she called me earlier," Lena said sitting beside me.

"Yup, she hung up on me..." 

"Little J hanging up on people? That Irish dude is changing her, I'm telling you!" Amy giggled, I loved the fact that she always tried to take the drama out of all situations.

"We'll deal with one thing at a time, don't worry she'll come around," Lena came closer to me and circled her arm around my shoulders comforting me.

"What are you going to do with 'the boy'? Have you returned his calls?" Amy inquired.

I felt a pinch in my chest like every time the mere thought of Harry crossed my mind, "No, I guess it's better if we don't talk for a while..."

"You can't keep running away Liv," Lena reasoned, "lately it feels like you are running from everything all the time, even from us sometimes."

Her words were precise as always, and I knew she was right. I sighed and nodded in silence.

Lena tightened her embrace and continued, "I'm not saying you have to be with him if you don't want to, but you should maybe try to find out what is that you want and stop being all over the place all the time."

"I'm not saying you should be with him either," Amy nodded, "but consider it because he is kinda hot," she winked an eye and took a sip from her beer bottle.

*

NICK'S OFFICES IN L.A. always made me feel like a grown-up. Everything was white, silver, and immaculate. Everyone was flawlessly dressed and sporting perfect grins on their faces. It also made me feel a bit like a hobo, to be honest.

His assistant escorted me to meet with him and without saying a word he pulled me into a tight hug as soon as I stepped into his office. He pulled away, placed her hands on my shoulders, and looked into my eyes, his eyebrows creased. I knew he was worried, never in the six years we were working together I went to L.A. specifically to talk to him. This time I just couldn't wait for him to fly to New York and I wanted to talk to him in person. He beckoned for me to sit on a big couch and he sat in front of me on a lounge chair across the coffee table.

"How are you, Livie?" He broke the ice unbuttoning his gray jacket.

I bit my lower lip in distress, sweat slowly covered my palms, "Well, I've been better..."

"Is Tom helping you out?" He asked with paternal concern.

"Yeah, Tom is great and has been nothing but helpful, thanks, Nick," I nodded, "and sorry, I've been... an asshole lately and took it on you many times."

He chuckled, "Well, you've been demanding, not gonna lie," he assured beaming, "But you've been through a lot, and it's okay to be a little bit of a diva sometimes," he finished winking at me.

"A bitch more like," I said laughing.

"Well I hope you can start to feel better soon, how was Paris?" He hurried to ask, leaving the previous topic behind.