Chapter Four.

Chapter Four.

Why does he come to me?

The air smells of fresh death and rotten flesh. The metallic taste of blood pours into my mouth as I continue to chew the side of my cheek.

Why does he test me so?

I stand bare footed in the dark world that belongs only to him. He will make himself known soon, I know this too well because he always comes to me in my dreams. Every night.

Every night he has me dressed in this white gown with silver embroidery, and has me sucked into this illusion that is his. Although, is it an illusion?

After all, this is his world.

“Ah, there you are my dear.”

I scrunch my face in disgust.

“I am no such thing. I am not yours.”

He steps out of the darkness and closer to where I stand, like every other night.

“Ah, but you are.” He grabs my hand, and I flinch in disgust. “Why keep denying your true feelings, Seph?”

            “I do not deny that you revolt me, and at the same time I cannot deny something that does not exist. You do not exist.”

            “But alas, I am here and as are you.” He leans in closer, brushing his cheek against mine.

            I can’t help the small flame of desire that builds up in the core of my stomach. There is no doubt in the world that this man is the most attractive that I have ever seen, but to completely acknowledge that he exists would be like giving into madness itself.

            Thankfully he pulls away to examine my reaction, allowing me some breathing space.

            “This is but a dream, and you are but a madman.” I take a step back from him, not wanting to be here any longer.

            “This may be a dream for you, but this is the real deal.” He seems to think for a moment before saying, “Let me reassure you as to how real I really am.”

            Before I have a chance to protest, he wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me into his embrace. His lips come crashing down on mine with a ferociousness that I have never before encountered. I don’t return the kiss, and as if in punishment, he bites my bottom lip. Hard.

            I taste more of the metallic liquid before I vanish and awake in my own bed, in my own room.

            Pulling my knees to my chest, I gasp as I lick my bottom lip.

            Blood.

***

            A dream.

            It had all been a dream.

            Maybe it’s a side effect from the drugs I had taken earlier, it’s not unheard of. I’ve had some pretty realistic and crazy dreams while on a bad trip. Then that means that Jae, Alstom and The Prince were all just a dream too. Not real.

            Fiction.

            Opening my eyes, my jaw instantly slacks.