Chapter 2

Such a time we had at first, they were the best weeks of my life until then. Summer was still at its peak, and bathing in sunshine Thornfield was almost pretty; I loved it like a friend. Meadows bloomed all around it, every tree was dressed in the purest green, even the lightning-struck horse chestnut ventured forth some new growth.

In the mornings I taught Adele, and in the afternoons Mr Rochester taught both of us about nature, or history; sometimes he sent Adele back to her maid or to play alone for some time, and then we talked religion, or philosophy, and I could almost feel my mind expand under his broader knowledge and revolutionary ideas. He told me about his travels, and did not shy away from including the Indies in his tales, which he always had before.

One day, he presented me with a valuable gift, one I didn't know what to think of, for it was not meant to gild me or woo me back to his side, but accepting it would lift me above my low status. He gifted me a real lady's horse, a genteel, pretty palfrey; golden in colour, and golden in character she bore me across the blooming fields, but not after quite a few frightening lessons, in which my master showed a lot of his former impatience and dominance.

For I was frightened at first of this large, strong animal, as I had feared his own black charger Mesrour. But as I had come to terms with his rage and his surliness by teasing him out of his moods, so he bullied and teased me into valour by calling me obstinate and elf-like, while I was in fact scared to death.

Teaching me to ride brought out the worst in my master, for he would not believe someone could be afraid of a horse, his own horse was almost wild, which he seemed to enjoy intensely. One day, before he had forced me into overcoming my natural fear of such a tall creature, my gentle mare was in a fractious mood and wouldn't stand still. I was in a state, for by now I knew she would shy at anything when fidgety like this, and my seat in the lady's saddle was not yet very stable. I was deadly afraid of taking a fall, and before risking that, I had to get past her large body and restless feet to mount.

'Make some haste, Jane, can't you see your horse is eager to be off?'

Mr Rochester was already mounted on his ferocious Mesrour, controlling the black beast easily; it was clear neither of them could wait to start the ride. As soon as I could mount by myself, my master had forbidden the stable-boy to help me, 'There won't be a stable-boy out in the fields, Jane, you have to be able to get on your horse under any circumstance.'

But now my usually placid filly shook her head as I gathered the reins, and sidled towards me, her shoulder topping me by an inch or two. I couldn't do it, fear petrified me, it was all I could do to hold on to the rein.

'You're not afraid of a mere horse, are you Jane? You've tamed me, and I'm much more dangerous, a true predator. Come now Jane, show your mettle, get on quickly.'

He wasn't angry at me, not yet, but soon his impatience would start to colour his voice; in some strange way my courage always rose when he growled at me, and he probably could have needled me into ignoring my fear to please him, but this rare time, he didn't.

'All right, I admit she's a bit more feisty than usual, finally a sign of life out of her. You should be glad of that, you like the spice in me, why not in your horse?'

But more importantly, he got off his own horse, left it standing and laid a hand on my filly's neck. I quickly made way for him, relieved at his lenience towards me but still a bit anxious over what was to come. After a few moments of complete immobility and silence he stroked the golden coat quietly, mumbling encouragements under his breath. This was a totally different side to my master and I watched the scene with more than a little surprise; and felt envious of a horse.