Stilettos and broken bottles

I'm spinning around in circles

I'm in the corner, watching you kiss him, ohh

I'm right over here, why can't you see me, ohh

I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the guy you're taking home, ooo

I keep dancing on my own

So far away but still so near

The lights go on, the music dies

But you don't see me standing here

I just came to say goodbye

I'm in the corner, watching you kiss him, ohh

I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the guy you're taking home, ooo

I keep dancing on my own

I'm in the corner, watching you kiss him, ohh

I'm right over here, why can't you see me, ohh

I'm giving it my all, but I'm not the guy you're taking home, ooo

I keep dancing on my own

Sang began to search the immediate crowd around her. Failing that, she widened her search.

"What are you doing?" James asked.

"Looking for someone."

"Now?" he said in disbelief.

Sang ignored James's pleas. Stay with him. Don't go. They were having fun.

Wrenching herself from his arms Sang started to search. She was desperate. Her heart told her, no begged her, to hurry. A warmth slowly encircled Sang's heart. A warmth that was alien to her. She embraced the feeling as the warmth grew to a flame. A flame of hope.

Sang frantically paced the club. Searching, wanting, believing. 'Was is him? No. Him? No. What about him? No. Where is he? Where is he? Where is he?' Her inner dialogue became louder and louder as she searched in vain.

FInally, a light glimmered in an empty corner of the balcony. She hadn't tried there! Racing through the crowds of clubbers; Sang pushed them out of her way as the pangs of desperation soared through her veins. She could just make out the outline of a tall slender guy. His face still in shadow, she could see the outline of short brown hair. Suddenly two luminous green eyes laced with pain turned towards her. Sang gasped and clutched her heart. The smell of sweet spice called her home. Struggling, she made the final steps towards the beacons of light. Suddenly, the light faded. "No!" Sang shouted. "No! Wait!" Reaching the darkness Sang sank to the floor. Tears formed as the wretch of loneliness embraced her.

Emptiness.

Darkness.

Loss.

Sang let the tears flow freely. She mourned the loss of a stranger. She mourned the loss of hope. She mourned the loss of warmth. Sang placed her hand over her heart. It was real. For the first time in her life she had felt warmth in her heart and not ice. It was slowly fading. Desperate to hold onto the warmth Sang cried out into the darkness. "Why did you leave me? Why did you stop singing? Why? I needed you."

Disbelief laced every word, "You were just a dream, I know that now. You must have been. You were just a beautiful dream."

A voice whispered in the darkness, "Sang, you did not dream it. You are not alone. I am with you, always."

Sang swallowed in vain to remove the lump in her throat. Tears now freely cascaded down her cheeks. Lost in the moment, she allowed them to flow, giving herself to the memory. The voice who had sang to her every night was an illusion; a beautiful illusion. Sang needed reality. She needed something to hold onto, instead of mist slipping through her fingers. To mourn the loss of someone she had never touched was unbearable. To mourn the loss of hope was devastating. To mourn the loss of the chance to love for the first time ripped her very soul apart.

Love was a thing that seemed to taunt Sang. It floated before her like a butterfly carried by the wind. With outstretched hands, it's beauty taunted her, as she tried in vain to catch it. Feeling that she was destined to walk through life alone, Sang held her head in her hands and cried in earnest; alone.