Chapter 25.

Chapter 25.

Winding silently through the rainforest up the side of a mountain, Xavier took up the rear of the group Marco led. He watched the man's straight back, shoulder length black hair and could not help but notice the graceful near-feline grace of his movements. It was almost as if Marco was more jaguar than man.

Aiden was carrying Grace on his back, allowing Marie to follow unimpeded. Her ankle was remarkably healed, but she was still babying it slightly. Nathan hung back near Xavier, asking questions now and again. The old vampire was becoming slightly peeved at the audacity of some of his queries.

"So let me get this straight...you were 'with' Marco's mom? Marie's grandma? Isn't it weird now with Marie..."

"Enough, Nathan. This is not a conversation I'm comfortable having with a boy your age," Xavier interrupted.

"Ooh, touchy! I guess I hit a nerve," Nathan said, mischievous sparks lighting his eyes.

It had been some time since Xavier had seen any light in the young one's eyes. Easing off his harsh tone, he answered, "It's not weird. I was never 'with' Missy. Not that way. I loved her; we were dear friends. She would never let me get any closer than that. She always told me another was meant for me..."

As his words trailed off, he looked ahead of them to where Marie was walking close to Marco. Nathan followed his gaze.

"She's cool, you know? She really stepped up to help with Grace. Emil really trusts her, especially after she didn't give him up. He would be okay if you and Marie hooked up."

Xavier stopped for a moment and said, "You and your father talk about me and my love life?"

Nathan turned around with a big grin. "Maybe."

Turning back around, the boy moved ahead leaving Xavier gaping after him. Xavier had no idea what to think if it were true. In all his years of knowing Emil, he could not believe he would speak to a mere boy about his love life. Though, to be honest, Nathan was closer to her age than he was. He might actually be able to give him some pointers...What was he thinking! He was just a kid. He would not know anything. Xavier jogged and caught up with the boy, chucking him on the head affectionately, but letting him know he had better watch it.

*******

A few hours later, the small group walked into a small clearing, ringed with stone structures. At one end a huge stone temple rose from the ground. The jungle had tried to reclaim it, but the vegetation appeared to have been groomed back some. Only two of the structures seemed habitable, and Marco led them to the larger one to the right of the temple. He pushed aside a simple rug covering the doorway, holding it back to allow all to pass. They entered into a rustic one-room home, one Xavier immediately felt at home in. It was the home of a shaman. Herbs hung from rafters, drying in the warm air; jars lined shelves on the wall, filled with odds and ends; preserved animals, bones and skins were littered throughout. He inhaled deeply and the pungent aroma of forest mixed with the ticklish scent of the dried plants inside. Beneath those fragrances, the more sinister hint of death and decay was noticeable.

The others followed Marie's lead and sat next to her around the central hearth. There were embers in a brazier, but no large hot fire. Xavier stood for a moment, waiting for Marco to sit. Aiden relinquished Grace to Nathan, who held the girl on his lap with his legs crossed. She fell asleep almost instantly. It had been a long day, even for supernatural beings. Xavier was feeling very contented, as he had taken his share from Marie earlier. He looked to Aiden and Nathan and noticed the dark circles under their eyes. Guiltily he looked to Marie. She also sported dark circles under her eyes, her golden skin somewhat ashen. He hoped it was only the dim lighting causing her poor color.