A New Friend, Old Friends, and Stupid Feelings

“Lauren Cimorelli. We meet again.” said a voice that sounded like a deeper version of 15 year old Anthony. 

“Anthony? Eric? Is that really you guys? Small world huh?”

“Yeah,” Eric responded.

I looked them both over. They looked the same overall except for the fact that they had gained quite a few more inches on me. 

They both pulled me into a hug and afterwards, Anthony started speaking.

“So what brings you to VU Laur?” Eric asked.

Right when I heard him say that name, shivers went down my spine. It brought back so many memories of 4 years ago. Looking at the two of them now, it’s sorta hard to believe that they affected me so much.

“Laur?” Eric repeated, snapping me back into reality.

“Oh, sorry. I don’t know. It was about time I headed off on my own way, y’know?”

They both nodded. “Well, we have to head off but we’ll see you later Laur! What dorm are you in?”

“Newport.” I told them. “Oh us too! We’re in Room 56B. We’re actually roommates. Just stop by if you wanna hang out. So we’ll probably see you a bit later yeah?” Eric said. I nodded as they walked off.

I gathered myself together just running through what just happened.

Who knew that going to Vanguard would reacquaint me with them?

I shook my head and collected myself as I dragged myself over to Newport Hall.

“Room 24A Newport Hall.” I repeated as I walked past each door trying to find my room.

Entering my room, the first thing that catches my eye is blonde hair messily put into a bun and the owner of that hair frantically running around the room.

“You must be Kate right?”

She seemed a bit startled at first when she heard my voice. But she seemed calm and collected when she turned around and introduced herself to me.

“Yeah, I’m Kate. And you are?” She said holding out her hand.

“I’m Lauren. Lauren Cimorelli.” I said shaking her hand.

“Oh, the famous one.” She said giving me a small smile. “I love you and your sisters’ music by the way.”

“Thanks. Do you sing?” I asked, trying to make conversation as I threw my luggage onto my bed.

“Nah, not really. I play guitar though.” She responded.

I zipped open my luggage and continued talking. “Have you ever tried singing?”

I looked back at her and she shook her head. “You should. I bet you would be great.”

She shrugged and continued looking through the boxes.

“So, what you were going crazy for before I walked in?” I asked.

“Oh, it’s nothing important really.” She said as she flopped onto her bed.

I was a bit skeptical about her answer but decided to let it pass.

After unpacking, I decided that it was about time I head over to Eric and Anthony’s. Maybe they could show me around the campus.

“Hey Kate, you wanna head over with me to my friends’ dorm? We could hang out or something.”

“You sure you wanna hang out with someone you just met?” She said referring to herself. She looked away shyly. Her shyness sorta reminded me of, well, me. Well, 14 year old me.