Visit Nine

'. . . top volcanologists say that the explosion currently going on at Mt. St. Helens is one of the worst witnessed in over –'

'Chiron,' said Annabeth pointedly, turning away in her seat. Nobody said anything as Chiron did so, understanding completely the circumstances. Percy had been missing for days, and Annabeth was his . . . best friend. His best friend who had kissed him goodbye -

'Annabeth,' said Chiron gently, moving across to her as silence fell around them. 'Percy has been gone for a while now. We haven't heard from him for days. Perhaps we should –'

'I'm just going to go and . . .' Annabeth started, abrupt as she pushed her chair back and left. She knew everybody was staring at her, and that everybody was, in their own ways, judging her . . . She didn't care.

She stormed from the Big House and into the Athena cabin. It was empty, her half-brothers and half-sisters either with Chiron or out training. She perched on the edge of her bed, staring at the door as though it herself was the reason behind her misery. Stupid Seaweed Brain! Did he have to try and save everyone? She could have fought off those telkhines herself, he didn't have to go and die –

No. He wasn't dead.

Annabeth pulled out her cell phone – she wasn't supposed to have it there at Camp, but she was sure Chiron would let her off anything right now. She scrolled through her contacts, hovering over Percy's name before ringing it.

He didn't answer, just like the seven other times.

Sally Jackson was her next victim. She answered after it rang just three times.

'Hello?'

Annabeth moved to lean against the wall.

'Sally? It's me, Annabeth.'

'Oh,' sighed Sally, the franticness in her voice decreasing slightly so she instead just sounded exhausted. 'Thank God. I thought that . . . never mind. Have you heard anything from Percy?'

'No,' said Annabeth, her voice somewhat hoarse. 'I rang hoping that you would have done.'

'I keep watching the news,' said Sally, her voice now getting quicker and quicker with each word she spoke. 'They keep saying that the explosion is even bigger than the one they had in the eighties. I don't think Percy is dead, Annabeth, but how could he have survived that?'

Annabeth suddenly regretted calling Sally. She had hoped to hear news of any kind but instead she found herself feeling something she had thought impossible – even worse. She made her excuses and quickly disconnected, burying her cell phone deep under her pillow.

It all felt too warm suddenly, her cabin felt far too hot . . . Annabeth climbed up, hurrying from the Athena cabin to go – to go somewhere . . . somewhere cooler, somewhere with a state of normality . . .

Not sure how she had ended up there, or why her feet had decided to take her there, Annabeth Chase found herself alone in the Poseidon cabin.

Strewn with Percy's junk and as cool and salty as ever, it could have been any other day.

'You idiot,' she murmured to herself, letting the door close behind her as she moved towards the middle of the cabin. Percy's bed was unmade, Tyson's beautifully so. 'You stupid, brave –'

She would have perhaps gone on to say worst but was interrupted by another voice.

'I understand that my son is missed?'

To say Annabeth was shocked was an understatement. She turned, hair whipping around as she saw a man stood in front of her – a man in beach shorts and shirt, looking as far from his true self as he could.