How this Works (MUST READ)

Hello everyone! Welcome to the Conjunction Junction Book Club! This is a Science Fiction and Fantasy book club for sci-fi/fantasy readers and writers. 

Now, how does this work? 

We function a little differently than your typical book club. We do not pair up people with partners. Instead, you will be responsible for choosing your own books. 

Every week, you will read AT LEAST two chapters from books chosen from the Community Library. You can choose from either the Sci-Fi list or the Fantasy reading lists found on the Conjunction-Junction book club's profile page. It doesn't matter (much) which two books you read. You can read two chapters from one book, or one chapter from two books. You can read more than that too, if you want to. No one will stop you.

HOWEVER. You may NOT read the same book over two consecutive weeks as your assignment. We want everyone to have freedom of choice, but we also want everyone's book to get some attention. 

Let's give an example. Say you are a big fan of books written by Member 1, 3, 4, and 7. For the first week, you might read two chapters from Member 1. This means that for next week, you CANNOT choose Member 1's book as your assignment. You must choose either 3, 4, or 7. Keep in mind, though, that nothing is barring you from just reading 1's for enjoyment. But for that second week, anything you read from 1 will not count towards the assignment. The third week, you can go back to 1 and it will count again. 

If this is unclear, please PM me and I will do my best to explain further. 

Do I have to follow this account?

*Shrugs* That's up to you, if you want to receive announcements and updates from this account, then sure, follow away!

Commenting on your chosen book

You can either: 

Leave at least one 4+ line comment on EACH of your two chapters

OR

If you would rather do in-line comments, leave at least four 1+ line comments on EACH of your two chapters.

This will result in a total of at least 8+ lines for your two chapters. 

If your chosen book has only one chapter posted, please choose your second chapter from another book in the Community Library. 

How do I turn in assignments?

This club book will not update weekly with new chapters like most other book clubs. Instead, each member will receive their own page. I will be tagging members every Sunday in the comment section of their chapter to remind them of their assignment due dates. This will be your only reminder, so do whatever you need to do to remember your reading.

You will have one week to complete your chapters. That means that your assignments are due every Sunday. 

On your page, please find the comment that corresponds to that week's assignment and respond to it. Please hit the "reply" button on the comment so you tag this account in your reply. You will comment the following when you have completed your assignment: 

Books chosen: 

Number of chapters read: 

**If you lie about which books you read—for example, if you read book 1 two weeks in a row, but you tell me the second week that you read book 3—and I find out about it—you will be booted and banned from the club immediately. No strike warnings.**

What if I can't complete my assignment on time?

PM me. PM me. PM me. PM me. Let me know if you need extra time and you will be given an extension. If you do not let me know that you need extra time, you will be given a strike. Three strikes, you're out. 

If you're given a strike, your book will be removed from the community library until you work off the strike. It isn't fair that someone might choose your book while you've not completed your assignment. That being said, how do you get rid of a strike? Read on. 

Can I ever get rid of a strike? 

Yes. If you have a strike, and you want to remove it, you will need to do double the assignment. So, you will still read your 2 chapters from a book of your choosing for that week's assignment. I will choose the other book for you for the strike assignment, and you will read 2 chapters from that book as well, as a makeup assignment, for a total of 4 chapters. 

What if I have multiple strikes? I already can't read two chapters in a week, how do you expect me to read even more?

This is a good question — and this is the policy for handling multiple strikes. Strike assignments will function independently of weekly assignments. What does this mean? Let's say you have strikes for both weeks 1 and 2 because you did not do the assignment those two weeks, and you are given strike assignments to complete in order to work off the strike. 

If you are able to complete your weekly assignment (i.e. your two chosen chapters), but unable to complete the strike assignment, you will NOT incur an additional strike for that week. Your status for week 3 in this example will read as completed — but you will still have those strike assignments to take care of, which you can do so at your own leisure, but keep in mind, your book will not re-enter the community library until you are strike-free. 

What if it's the other way around, and you complete all the strike assignments, but you did not choose two chapters for the weekly assignment? Well, technically you've worked off the strikes for weeks 1 and 2, but if you did not do the weekly assignment for week 3, then...unfortunately that is still a strike. So, your strike count will be reduced to one, and you will still have to take care of another strike assignment. 

I need a break—can I go on hiatus?

Of course. Just PM me. If you're able to, please try to specify until approximately when you'd need to be on hiatus. The reason for this is because I will be doing some housekeeping and clearing out people's pages who have been on hiatus for more than a month. If you don't want your page deleted, please try to give me a timeframe for your hiatus. 

If you'd like to come back from hiatus and I've deleted your page, please just apply again and I'll remake your page, no biggie. 

If I go on hiatus and come back, will my strikes be cleared?

No. Hiatuses are meant to be used as a pause button on your page, not a slate cleaner. You may come back any time you wish, but before your book can be added back to the public reading list, you must complete any outstanding strike assignments, if you have any. If the book designated as your strike assignment is no longer available, I will choose a new one for you. 

Your book will be removed from the Community library if:

- You have a strike

- You are on hiatus or need an extension

- You leave or are booted from the club

Great, I'm down! How do I join?

If you are interested in joining, please head on over to the Applications page.