4. Greetings

Another trigger warning of abuse.

Bucky wouldn't leave you alone after he saw your injury. It wasn't much, but it was like it triggered something in his heart. He was trying to look out for you and you weren't sure if you liked it or not.

Days went by and Robert's anger had only risen at you. Everything was different. It was nothing like Homecoming. He'd changed. Your relationship was all wrong.

You were walking out of class one day when Bucky came up to you and started pacing you.

"What do you want, James?"

"You safe... Remember, 'Safety First, Fashion later,' your own words. Who's doing this to you? Is it your Dad? You brothers are too young right? Your mom?"

"No, it's no one!"

"Obviously not a boyfriend.."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, you've just never had a boyfriend, so-"

"As a matter of fact, I do have one. I don't know where you've been. We've been together for 6 months..."

"Who?"

"Robert Grant."

He nodded as if he knew something, but just kept quiet, "But just so you know, Robert would never lay a finger on me... he loves me," you continued your walk with him at your side. Not really bothering to talk to him.

***

Finals were coming up and you were stressed to say the least. Your heart was racing every moment you weren't studying and that was quite frequently, unfortunately. It was Robert's birthday and you felt you owed it to him to make his day spectacular... but his day turned into a weeks worth of celebrations. With his crazy week came his crazy behavior. He was easily upset and you did everything to try to keep him happy, but it didn't work.

"I didn't mean to! You said you wanted pasta, so I made you some! Are you really this upset over the fact I gave you red sauce and not alfredo?! Robert, I'm not rich. You know that! So why do you expect me to give you all this stuff?"

"Because that's what you're supposed to do!"

"You forgot my birthday! And I'm here trying to schedule yet another party for you!"

"You are the rudest, most unbelievable girl I've ever met! You haven't done anything for me? And you act like you're the victim here!" he stood up and and walked towards you ever so slightly. You back up at the same rate.

"Robert, please, I- I'm done! You need to get out of my house! My parents are going to be home any minute now and I don't want them here when you're fighting with me. Get out," you slammed your hands against his chest pushing him away from you.

Both of his hands are balled up in fists and seemingly at the ready. You prepared for an impact when the door opened behind you and the rest of your family walked in. Robert grabbed your face and kissed you obviously for show, "Thank you for dinner, Doll..." You smiled at him trying not to cry at the same time.

"Lovely, Robert, you'll be joining us for dinner?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

*Time Skip to End of School*

"We'd like to congratulate the class of 1935!" You all laughed and threw your caps in the air. Friends greeted friends and families congratulated their children. You approached your family slowly as they bombarded you with hugs and praises. Despite all the tears everyone else was shedding, you couldn't dare let the makeup covering your discolored face wash away.

"Would you like to say goodbye to Robert before we leave, Doc?" You mother asked innocently.

You laughed at the nickname before looking up at him, cigarette in hand and a group of boys laughing with him. The cigarette was precariously perched on the tip of his left hand. It's a like a light went off in your mind.

"No, I'm fine. I'll see him another time!" You smiled at her, "But, actually, I do have something to do, hold one!" You turned on your heel and ran towards the only place you'd known to go. Alley off of Main, "Steve! Where are you?"

"(Y/N)? What are you doing here?"

"Making sure my boyfriend doesn't kill you!"

"How'd you know-"

"He's left handed. He throws his punches with his left hand. So when you show up with a bruised right eye, I know it's a left handed person. Steve, just stay away from him. He's a lot stronger than you. I didn't want to see you hurt!"

"How'd you know he uses his left hand to punch?"

"It's just a hypothesis-"

"Or maybe he is the one hitting you," Bucky's voice calls from behind you. His head cocked to one side, his perfect posture still evident, "Just confess already. He's no good for you."

"James, stay up in your own business!"

"Seems a little bit like you're a hypocrite.. this is Steve's business not yours. Your abuser is your business, but it's also mine now. So talk to me!"

"Thank goodness I never have to see your faces again. Steve, I hope you invite me to your funeral, or maybe the bully will, never know. And you James, it's taken everything in me not to pour arsenic down your throat. I hope you enjoy the rest of your lives. Maybe join the army, I've heard there's some talk about a war... then at least you'll die a hero in someone's eyes." you seethed, stomping away from the scene.

"(Y/N)! Wait!"