Author's Note (on "originality")

Dear Readers,

During my time so far on Wattpad, I've been witness to a disconcerting amount of battling on the topic of originality. My name gets tossed around every so often in heated discussions among other fanfiction writers accusing one another of “copying,” and defending each other from these charges. I find it all a wee bit ironic in light of the many conversations I’ve had with authors of original fiction here on Wattpad, who consider all fanfiction unoriginal and unworthy their time – people who have urged me to rename my characters and strip my stories of song lyrics in order to achieve some higher standard of “originality."

And of course, these conversations are not limited to Wattpad. Even artists at the cultural forefront are not immune. Just look at the recent twitter war between Adam Levine and Lady Gaga. If you don’t follow celebrity gossip (gasp!), I’ve pasted some of their tweets below. Apparently, Adam thinks they are both unoriginal and therefore don’t deserve to be called “artists.” Is he right?

I conceived the idea for The Liar’s Wife in large part as a reaction to these originality wars. This is a book that explicitly lifts plot ideas from another novel (Jane Eyre), and it borrows heavily from cliches (orphans and nannies) that appear over and over in many of our childhood classics.  And of course it makes illegal use of other people’s identities and song lyrics to tell the story.  Does that mean it’s a waste of time for me to write and for you to read? Probably so. Maybe not. I don’t have the answers, but these are the questions feeding this story (along a dollop of Halloween and a hearty portion of Adam Levine obsession).

All I know is, if this book inspires anyone out there to stop attacking each other and start thinking about these questions instead, I will consider it a resounding success.

Love always,

adam_and_jane

**********************************************************

Adam Levine @adamlevine

Ugh..recycling old art for a younger generation doesn't make you an artist. It makes you an art teacher.

8:19 PM - 20 Sep 13

Adam Levine @adamlevine

I unabashedly love writing and performing pop music for both myself AND everyone around me. That's It. It doesn't need any extra sauce.

9:48 PM - 20 Sep 13

Lady Gaga @ladygaga

uh oh guys the art police is here

4:10 AM - 21 Sep 13

Adam Levine @adamlevine

by the way, im NOT an artist. i sing in a band and i make music with my friends.

5:38 AM - 24 Sep 13