six.

RILEY. POV

Last night was interesting. That's all I'm saying.

I see my phone light up and look at the text.

Lucas:Hey, dose practice at 1:00 work?
Me:Yep! Looking forward to it! Thx for last night. ;)
Lucas:Sounds good, and no problem! :D

I drive to the clinic. I walk through the door and see Lucas. He was sitting at his desk as usual. Taping his pen rapidly.

"Hey, Lucas."

"Hi, Riley, you ready for today?" He asks with a smile.

I nod. I drop my bag in the lobby, I'll pick it up later. We go into the pool and start swimming. We do a lot of laps, and a ton of drills. This practice is different, it's a lot harder, Lucas is making a lot more corrections. It's probably because our next practice we have an evaluator coming to see if I'm ready for the Olympics, so basically my she decides if I go to the Olympics or not. But practice is still really fun.

"Done!" I exclaim, that was my last lap of the day. He puts up his hand for a high five but I see something on his hand it says, you are in love.

"Lucas, what is that?" I ask, while looking at it. He looks at it and his eyes widen a little bit.

"Oh, nothing, don't worry about it.'' He quickly says. I raise an eyebrow at him. He gives me an awkward toothless smile. And we finish and I go shower, I usually don't, but I'm going to see my father later. I shower and hop out and grab my towel. I walk in the dressing room. I realize I forgot my bag. So, I go out and look for it in the girl's locker room. Nothing. And then I remember I left my bag in the lobby.

"No no no no no!" I say to myself. I'll have to get it. I quietly walk out. I pass Lucas' desk, Lucas is looking at his papers. I grab my bag. Yes.

"Riley?" I hear Lucas. It scares me. I jump and drop my towel. I'm frozen. I can't move. After, a 20 seconds of us staring at each other, Lucas realizes what's going on, and quickly puts his hand over his eyes. I finally unfreeze, and pick up my towel, and run into the girl's locker room. I cry.

Why.

Stupid.

Crap.

He probably thinks I'm a slut now.

Ugh.

I cry and get dressed. I walk out of the locker room (fully clothed.). I fast walk to the door, but I'm stopped by a voice.

"Riley."

I slowly turn on my heels and face Lucas.

"Um, I think we might need to talk." He said. I nod. He was right, we needed to talk.

"Um, I don't think we should change just because if the..'incident'...so let's just pretend it never happened, but I want to apologize, should've covered my eyes right away, but I was...wonderstruck." He says, I smile. He goes back to work. I take a step closer to his desk.

"What do you do after I leave?" I ask him.

"I work a little, and go home, oh, and, um, I have these for you." He hands me flowers

"Lucas, you did have to-"

"I wanted to." He cuts me off.

"Lucas, would like to come to me come with, so I can thank you for the flowers." I offer.

"I don't kno-"

"You're coming."

X

We pull up to a graveyard. We walk out of my car. We walk to my fathers gravestone. I stand there with Lucas looking at it. I grab a flower from the bouquet Lucas gave me and lay it on his grave. Lucas bends down on one knee, holds his hands, closes his eyes, and prays. After, he dose that he stands up and looks at me. I stare at him. He gives me a small smile and continues to stare at the grave. I can tell he wants to know about it, so I'm gonna save him from wondering.

"I was 16. He had a heart attack. He was very happy. He was my teacher forever, and he was a amazing." I start to tear up. I feel Lucas put his arm around me for comfort.

"He was so amazing, he was the best father. Was your dad like that?" I ask him. He looks down. And pulls away.

"My mom and dad left me when I was sixteen." He shakes. It was so cold you could see our breath.

Silence

"I wish I knew what did wrong." Lucas' voice becomes raspy.

"You did nothing wrong." I turn my body to completely face him, but he's looking down.

"I must of, you can't just leave a kid." His dry voice cracks. I saw is eyes start to water. I pull him into a hug. I burry my head into shoulder. He wraps his arm around me, and for the first time today I'm comfortable. "Lucas, it's ok, I'm here," I say softly, I realize I'm crying way more than he is.

We stay here, safe.

Read my new book