Judith laughed and went on to describe the many tricks which her evil little nephews had played on her over the past springtime. Lavinia listened in great amusement. This was the family life which she had missed out on. Her father's family had lost touch after his death and her Aunt Julie was as far as her extended family stretched to and she had no children. She wondered what Charles' children would be like and if he would ever even marry. He seemed too busy charming women rather than actually spending time with them, getting to know them well enough to marry.

Judith did enjoy her conversation with Lavinia. The girl clearly needed her guidance and her experience. Mr Colin Black was a rather fishy gentleman who got rather possessive after a while but he was exactly what she needed. He would occupy Lavinia while Judith got closer to Caleb and they could continue their almost courtship towards an engagement.

The girls lost track of time and it was getting late as they walked back to Judith's house. Lavinia realised that this was her last chance to tell Judith of Caleb's gift that day.

"Judith," Lavinia began after a few moments of silence. "You remember the incident at my coming out ball?"

"Of course I do, but I didn't want to ever bring it up, I know how embarrassed you get about it.

Your cheeks are flushing even now," Judith pointed out, rather confused at the sudden change in topic.

"I know, but I have some exciting news," Lavinia couldn't help but smile. "Well, you will remember that I was very angry at Caleb for ruining my dress and for humiliating me and that I sent him away. I hadn't seen him since then until yesterday. He apologised again to me as he led me into the dining room and I had forgiven him for it."

"That was very good of you," Judith said, uncertain of where the conversation was going.

"Caleb, however, clearly still felt guilty and sent me a gift to make up for it this morning. He sent me a replacement ball gown, one almost exactly identical to my birthday one," Lavinia said with another resplendent grin as she looked to her friend for her thoughts on the matter.

Judith felt completely betrayed . Not just by Caleb, but also by Lavinia who had clearly encouraged him at some point. But she would be out the way soon enough, Mr Black would occupy Lavinia long enough for Judith to act, there was no reason to show her anger just yet.

"That is very generous of him!" Judith gushed, matching Lavinia's smile though it did not reach her eyes. "How kind to think of you that way."

"I know he is probably simply trying to get on my good side so that he can have my approval for you and I totally, full heartedly approve Judith! He kept looking over at you last night and talked to you the whole of dinner."

Judith had, of course, noticed his glances too, yet she had interpreted them slightly differently. He was clearly watching Lavinia converse with Mr Black and she could see the jealousy lurking in his eyes. Lavinia's complete blindness and innocence was beginning to grate on her nerves. She had spent several hours with her already today. Arriving home, Judith said her goodbyes as quickly as possible and left Lavinia to walk home. She did not realise her mistake in not offering her their carriage until later, but she was sure Lavinia would be safe walking, it was only London afterall.

***

Lavinia had seen the betrayal in Judith's eyes before she had hidden it, but she did not know how to interpret it. Her friend had been excited for her and Lavinia had approved of a match between Caleb and Judith which had reassured Judith a little. However, her hurried goodbyes at her home had left Lavinia on the street to walk home alone.

Lavinia did not notice though, she had always thought twilight the best time for a walk. The sky was growing dark and the lamps along the side of the street were being lit. Carriages drove by her and the horses' hooves echoed off the cobblestones. Lavinia felt rather exhausted after the full day, but this was what it felt like to be part of the season. Busy, purposeful days followed by nights full of entertainment, conversation and delight. Caleb's gift had been on her mind all day and she could not wait to try it on. The feel of silk had always been Lavinia's favourite and the red roses spotting the white bodice would match a crimson necklace she had in her trinket box.