Welcome to Overwatch - (S1C1)

((AN:: The system in which these stories works is like this; if it's a story of mine with multiple parts, the title will have S (Story) (Number) C (Chapter) (Number). Otherwise it will be listed as a request or oneshot. Thanks and enjoy!))

:-------------------------:

"Hey, ah...mom? Do you think I could do something really great?"

"What do you mean, dear?"

"I just...I hope I mean something to someone one day. You know?"

(Y/N) brought her attention back down towards her family's wooden dining table, gazing directly at the holo-tablet that rested beside the bowl of cereal she'd been gingerly picking at for the past few moments. The World News had been playing on the glowing screen, showing images of battles that had occurred days earlier in a once-lovely city in Greece.
Each image was more gruesome than the last, depicting scenes of explosive fighting and broken-down Omnic soldiers. 
She sighed, powering the tablet off with a wave of her hand.
"I think I'm going for a walk. Send me a message if you need anything from the shop, okay mom?"

(Y/N) donned a dark hoodie before pocketing her phone and wallet, then headed for the front door of the two-story apartment that she and her mother resided in. 
Once she stepped over the threshold, (Y/N) felt a cold rush of air hit her cheeks, sending a shockwave down the length of her spine. Her (H/C) locks fluttered in the wind, framing her face and blowing into her eyes. A softened growl echoed from the dark clouds hanging overhead, weighed down by the volume of water that they held.
"About time we get some rain," (Y/N) muttered, hanging a left to stroll down a tunnel. Flickering, yellow lights embedded in the tunnel's roof illuminated the posters and graffiti that covered the dirty brick walls, and one image in particular caught (Y/N)'s attention.
An Overwatch Recruitment poster.
(Y/N) cocked her head and stopped in front of the page, disregarding its curled edges and moth-eaten sides. 
The faded image of the group's noblest members took up most of the poster, headed by the phrase 'THE PROTECTORS' in bold lettering. It had obviously been there a while. Overwatch had been disbanded and was no longer seeking recruits, so it was odd that the paraphernalia was there in the first place. Surely someone would have ripped it down by then?
(Y/N) bit her lip and stood up on her toes, reaching to gingerly pull the sheet from the wall. It came free without much resistance, as if it had been eagerly awaiting the day it would be removed from the tunnel's wall.
She rolled the poster and stored it under her arm, looking towards the entrance of the tunnel to make sure no one had seen her. 
Another round of thunder clashed overhead, before the clouds opened and unleashed the fury of the prolonged rains that (Y/N)'s town so desperately needed.
The droplets drilled into the outer shell of the tunnel, filling its insides with a loud, droning hum. The sound eased the tension that pricked at the back of her head, allowing her a moment to relax. 
Of course, that didn't last very long.

A quiet tapping echoed towards her from the exit of the tunnel, increasing in volume as time passed. (Y/N) turned, eyes narrowed and scanning for any and all movement in the shadows.
"Who's there?"
A beep replied to her query, then another. And another.
Soon enough a circular-shaped light peered from the darkness, flashing crimson.
A rusted, bullet pierced Omnic emerged from the end of the tunnel, beeping sorrowfully before toppling to the ground. Its back was smoking and torn apart, exposing the inner workings beneath the hard shell.
"Oh! No! Are you okay?"
(Y/N) kneeled beside the robotic humanoid, resting a trembling hand on its head. The Omnic let out a hurt sigh, shuddering in the presence of (Y/N), seemingly afraid that she would cause it further discomfort.
"Oi'd step away from that while ya can, sheila,"
A figure stepped into view, his face wild and twisted into a smirk, brows lowered and eyes pinpointed at her. "Less you'd loike to end up in tha same way he's gonna."
She looked up from the Omnic and glared at the man before her, not even taking into consideration that his hair was literally flaming.
"He needs help. I'm going to get it for him. You can assist me if you wish, but do not get in my way."
The soot-covered, bomb wearing man cocked his head at her and laughed in what sounded like a mix of shock and awe. He shifted his shoulders, the yellow and silver cylinders framing his chest and collar jostling with his movements.
"Listen, girly. Oi don't take orders. Nor do I spare a piece of junk loike this one-" he said, shoving a prosthetic leg into the poor Omnic's head plating.
With that, (Y/N) immediately rose to her feet and pushed the man away from the robot, her eyes narrowed and teeth bared. "You want to hurt him? Get through me. I dare you."
He laughed the same way he had the first time, though with a bit more giggling.
"Spunky, aren't ya? Gotta say, it's sorta cute!"
(Y/N) pressed her lips into a line and seated herself near the Omnic's head, placing it into her lap and making sure it was still online. "You're going to be okay," she murmured to it. "I promise."
She pulled her phone from her back pocket and dialed the police, glaring at the man in front of her, gently taking the robot's hand.
He stared at her, absolutely dumbfounded at the gall that this girl had to simply ignore him. Especially on a rampage.
"What the f-"
She held up a finger, speaking clearly to the dispatch and letting them know of the situation.
"Yes, there's an injured Omnic here and the person I'm pretty sure is responsible for his injuries. I'm going to need someone here as soon as possible."
The dispatch then ended the call after confirming that a medical unit was on the way.
The man was still staring at her, pouting.
"Don't know if ya noticed, sweetheart, but you've just done something that Oi'm gonna make you regret."
"JAMISON."
He flinched and closed his eyes, shaking his head. The name made (Y/N) hold back a soft laugh, which only increased the man's frustration. 
A large, pot-bellied man then emerged from the end of the tunnel, a pignose gas mask adorning his face. His voice was deepened and growly likely because of it.
"That's enough being an ass for one day. The feds are on their way here and I don't think you want a repeat of last week. The others are still getting over your last fuck-up."
He swatted the back of the lankier man's head, causing him to groan. 
"Oi told you, Roadie. Don't call me by me first name. It's Junkrat! Junk. Rat. How many bloody times do Oi gotta-" 
The larger man simply grabbed the other by the face and dragged him - kicking - out of the tunnel, just as the medics and cops arrived on scene. 
Leaving (Y/N) alone with the injured Omnic and every other person filing into the tunnel. 
"'Ello, luv! Fancy takin' a walk with me?"
A woman, several inches taller than (Y/N), approached her, grinning. She introduced herself as Lena Oxton, nicknamed 'Tracer'. 
"You dealt with my squadmate pretty well. I've never seen him that befuddled in my life! I'd like to offer you a spot on my team."
(Y/N) raised a brow, glancing away as the Omnic was carried off into an ambulance.
"What team is that?"
Tracer grinned.
"Overwatch."