"What?"

"You dropped the jam back there. Why?"

"I didn't expect to see him."

Elizabeth clenches her jaw. "Really."

"Lizzie, you have to believe me. I didn't--"

"Don't call me that," she snaps. "You've lost the right to call me that."

"I'm your sister--"

"I don't give a damn." Her gaze is fiery and venomous. "You stole him from me, Rose. As if you thought I wouldn't find out."

I fall silent. It's no use. It's my word against Jason's, and no doubt Elizabeth is buying into his.

We arrive home and unload the groceries without speaking. This weekend has been a disaster, I think for the millionth time in twenty four hours.

My mother looks on as Elizabeth and I put away the food in the kitchen. Her arms are crossed over her chest and she stands with rigid posture.

I feel like screaming.

I make my way to my room as soon as all the groceries are put away. "Your grandparents are coming at seven," my mother calls after me. "Be ready by then."

I roll my eyes and slam my door. I open a manuscript I took with me and lose myself in it, ignoring the multiple knocks on my door from my mother and father trying to speak to me. I feel like a thirteen year old being banned from going to her friend's house, cooped up in here, ignoring my parents.

My father knocks now, for the fourth time. I sigh and put down my pen. "What," I snap and he opens the door, peeking in.

"Rose," he greets me, stepping into the room. I clench my jaw.

"What are you working on?"

"I'm editing," I reply.

"Interesting," he says.

I sigh. "What do you want?"

"I just want to talk to you," he says, taking a seat on the armchair by my door.

"About what?"

"Everything that's happening in the past few months," he says. I stare at him. "You have to understand that your mother and I--"

"No, I don't have to understand anything, Dad. I'm sick of always being the outcast in this family, alright?" I sit up on my bed, anger taking over my system.

"Outcast? When have you ever been the outcast?"

"Oh, please. Ever since Elizabeth accused me of sleeping with Jason you three have formed a right little bond and left me out of it. I don't give a damn anymore." I cross my arms over my chest.

"Rose, you're being unfair."

"No, I'm being observant."

My father sighs and shakes his head. He stands up. "I'm sorry you feel that way, Rose," he says. "But we are your family, and you can't change that."

I grimace as he walks out of the bedroom and shuts the door.

At seven o'clock sharp, my mother knocks on my door and steps into my room. "They're here, come out and say hello," she says simply before turning and walking out.

I sigh and drag myself out of bed. I check my hair in the mirror and touch up my makeup before walking into the living room.

My grandparents sit on the couch, looking the same as the last time I saw them. My grandmother's silver hair is in curls and plum eyeliner lines her grey eyes. My grandfather wears a red plaid flannel--one of his many flannel shirts I have grown fond of over the years.