Prologue

DECEMBER 21, 2017

Adele's POV

One year ago today, Simon and I vowed to stay with each other through whatever came our way. 365 days have gone by, and we've kept our promises.

Today I awoke to a bouquet of red roses and a love letter. Simon knew the way to my heart.

Unfolding the piece of paper, I see Simon's handwriting and smile. He wrote the most beautiful love letters.

Adele,

Happy anniversary, baby. I feel so grateful to wake up every day to your beautiful face. It has been an honor to call you my wife. I've never loved someone more than I've loved you or Angelo. I intend to keep my promise of loving you forever. You are the funniest, kindest, most caring and beautiful person I have ever known and I look forward to many more years with you. I'm excited for what is to come. I love you so much. Happy one year anniversary!

~Simon

Placing the note down, I take a sip of water and try not to cry. One year has gone by so fast.

The aroma of pancakes was making its way up the stairs and into our room, dragging me out of bed.

I made my way down to the kitchen. Simon was making breakfast as Angelo, now five years old, watched TV.

"Good morning, babe." He says when he sees me.

"Thank you for the roses, baby. Your letter made me well up!" I say, kissing his big lips.

"Yeah, well, I tried to be romantic." He humorously replies.

I laugh, looking into his deep blue eyes.

I can't believe an entire year has passed since I looked into his eyes and listened to his vows.

It felt like it was just a month ago that we sat on the edge of our bed and talked about about happy we were that the wedding was so incredible.

Many people went on to tell us that our wedding was the best they had ever been to, which is a huge compliment that I'm very grateful for.

There was a lot marriage had taught me, just in one year, and I know I will learn much more as the years go on.

I learned that I am capable of loving Simon more and more each day, even though it seems impossible to love even more than I already do.

I now know how it feels to wake up and go to bed knowing that no matter what, Simon will be with me for the rest of my life.

I learned that we will argue over dumb things just like we did before we were married.

And above all, I really feel genuinely happy. Not a day has gone by this entire year where I haven't stopped and thought about how grateful I am.

I am now content with everything in my life, and that feels amazing.

***

Simon's POV

I can't help but look at Adele as she takes a nap next to me on the couch. It was an incredible feeling to lay next to her each night, knowing she would always be with me.

As I am studying her perfect face, her stunning green eyes flutter open and she sees me staring.

"Like what you see?" She sarcastically says with a tired voice.

"I love it." I say, planting a kiss on her forehead.

Angelo walks in, holding a football in his hand with an eager expression on his face.

"Daddy, can we play catch outside?" He asks.

I nod, saying, "I'll race you to the door!" Then I quickly get up and watch him sprint to the back door.

Adele laughs. "Well, you boys have fun, I'm going to the grocery store."

I kiss her goodbye and run outside with Angelo.

He throws the ball as hard as he can to me, and I am surpised at how well he threw it.

"Wow, you've got a strong arm, little man!" I tell him as he beams with pride.

He was growing up way too fast. My life was going by way too fast.

I promised myself that I wouldn't take a single moment for granted, then I throw the ball back to Angelo and laugh with him when he doesn't catch it.

This is what true happiness is.