Bullying: Expository Essay (Copyright 2013)(COMPLETED)

This is the expository essay I wrote for my English class. Enjoy!:)

~Emziixx

That girl in the hallway, curled into herself, practically hiding. That boy in the courtyard, alone and reading to himself. He looks up, wary, and goes back to reading. These are telltale signs of past or current bullying. Is bullying a destructive force, or can it make people stronger? From these signs, it is easy to tell that it is a destructive force, and millions of teens are affected by the issue every day. You might not be able to see the signs of bullying. Or you might be able to, but you don’t do anything about it. Either way, speak up. Bullying can be anywhere. Lives are slowly being torn down. One in four kids is bullied on a regular basis. 77% of students are verbally bullied.

          Unfortunately, bullying can happen to anyone, but not everyone can handle it. People can be bullied for a variety of different reasons, like wrong hair or clothes. Bullies believe that these are ‘justified’ reasons to hate the victim. The bullying isn’t always obvious. The most obvious bullying is physical, then cyber bullying, then verbal bullying. The kind of bullying that is currently most common is verbal bullying.  Rebecca Sedwick and Amanda Todd both committed suicide from cyber bullying. A lot of people endure bullying silently. Few escape stronger, and next to none escape unscathed.

          Already, possible outcomes are far too uncertain for us to ignore this issue. The possible outcomes, mentally, can be no self-esteem, no confidence, no dignity, depression, anxiety, and no personal respect. The physical outcomes can be anorexia, bulimia, self-harm, or even suicidal thoughts and/or actions. Bullying hurts, plain and simple.

          For these reasons, bullying is a destructive force. Not everyone, even if it’s the strongest person in the world, can handle bullying, and the outcomes are too uncertain to let this continue. So if you see that girl in the hallway, or that boy in the courtyard, go over there and be their friend. You might just become their lifeline to life itself.

Hope this impacted you!!!