Lesson 33: Just Be You

Start from the beginning

       “And ruin my makeup?” she chortled, raising an eyebrow while turning around to face him, causing his chin to drop. “I don’t think so. Maybe later– after I meet some of your family members.”

       He chuckled and nodded his head. “That sounds like a good idea,” he replied, kissing the tip of her nose. “If we get separated, try not to run into anyone that looks of young youth.”

       “Young youth?”

       “As in a man that is physically my twin, but is actually in his early twenties.”

       Michelle just nodded in an ‘okay’, not fully believing in his words. She had noticed that Varsity relatives shared a distinct look, but twins? Such an exaggerated.

       He glanced down at his Rolex watch that wrapped around his wrist. “I think it’s time for us to start going down,” he announced, pulling away, but not without grabbing her hand. “It’s five before nine and guests should be arriving now.”

       “Do you guys have that ball drop thing?”

       “Uh, yes, we do. But, most of the time, everyone is so scattered around the house that no one knows when to wish Happy New Years.” Mickey paused then started off a different conversation, “Usually, I’m in the living room with the cousins, Ronnie, and whoever else is around our age. So, really, just attempt staying inside of the living room and you possibly won’t get lost in the crowd. Capiche?” he asked, stepping out of his bedroom and closing– then locking– the door behind himself.

       Never once did he let go of her hand.

       “Capiche,” Michelle replied firmly until they stopped at the top of the staircase and she practically did a doubletake at the amount of people present. “Holy shit,” she cursed under her breath. “Is this really how many people comes to your house?”

       Nodding, Mickey answered, “Yeah, but we have enough room so it’s fine.”

       “Are you sure I’m dressed properly?” she asked softly, her grip on his hand tightening drastically. Michelle was on top of the stairs, staring down at people that wore gowns to this New Year’s party. Gowns! And here she was, Michelle Sarah Richmond of a middle-lower class family that had the father in prison, in a short, colorful dress.

       Can things be anymore awkward?

       “My mom is most likely bragging about you in her dress at this moment,” he retorted, his amber eyes rolling. “And if she’s not, once she sees you in this dress, she will.”

       The longer the couple stood at the top of the stairs, the more eyes they were drawing in on them. The last thing Michelle wanted, at that moment, was attention from the countless amount of people that were there.

       “Should we, um, start going down?”

       Mickey chuckled and walked down the stairs, pulling his girlfriend along with him. “Just do me a favor and stand in front of me as much as problems,” he whispered to her as they descended.

       “Why?” she inquired, raising an eyebrow. “Got hard already?”

       Annoyance flashed through amber orbs as they narrowed. “You and my mom hangs out with Ronnie too much,” he stated then shook his head and said, “No, because it’ll be easier for me to make sure that no one slams into your back.”

       Her lips twitched into a small smile. She couldn’t argue with the fact that she was hanging out with Ronnie too much lately. He’s slowly– dangerously slow– perverting her mind.