I had a bad feeling that was wishful thinking.

SAMANTHA

It was a busy day for Redwood construction. The phones were ringing constantly with order confirmations, delivery clearances, and new customers. I was up to my eyeballs in work when the office door was opened bringing a familiar scent with it causing me to drop the papers I was holding and freeze in place.

“Hello Samantha.” his deep voice greeted.

Turning slowly, a million thoughts running through my head, I faced the man I shared my life with for three long years. “Hello Devin.” I replied surprising myself with how strong my voice sounded even though I was anything but. I tried to hide the panic I felt and prayed Ariana would stay sleeping in the play yard I had set up behind the divider next to my desk.

“It’s been awhile.” he said with an edge to his voice.

“That it has. What are you doing here?” I forced myself to ask.

“I came to bring you back, you knew that would happen, isn’t that why you hid yourself among humans?”

“Our bond has been broken, Devin, what more could you want from me?”

“Correction, your bond to me has been broken, mine is still firmly intact, but you know that don’t you? You can feel my joy at seeing you, can you not?” he said confidently.

He was right, being this close to him it was hard to block him out. He was happy to see me, but there was a pain hidden deep inside followed closely by anger. 

“I don’t want to go back, you and I are over. I have a new life now. I’m happy, why can’t you accept that?” I pleaded with him.

“Yes, I know about that. Tell me, how is your husband? Or your pretend husband. That was a good lie, no one would suspect a thing.” 

I was angered by his easy dismissal of my marriage. “It's a real marriage, in every sense of the word.”

I saw him flinch at that and couldn’t help but feel guilty, There was so much more to the story and now was not the time to tell him. 

He regained his composure and asked, “So you married for, love?”

I didn’t want to get into it with him with my daughter this close. I couldn‘t risk him changing and hurting her unintentionally. I knew I needed to tell him everything, his being here proved that. It was way past time for this conversation but I needed to collect my bearings first.

“Look, if you want I will explain everything to you, but not now. There is too much to say and I am swamped with work as it is. Could we meet after I get off in about four hours?” My daughter was starting to stir from what I could see where I was standing and I needed him to leave.

He looked like he was going to argue as he studied my face but he must have seen the weariness in my eyes and started to give in, “You promise not to run away again, because I’ll just find you if you do.”

“I promise.” I said truthfully. I was done running. I had already decided it was time for Ariana and Devin to meet, just not this very minute.

He continued to study me as if not quite believing me when I reminded him, “When have I ever made you a promise I didn’t keep, Devin?”

His face contorted in pain as he heard the rest of my unspoken statement like you did.

“Alright.”

“Good.” I needed him to go. “Meet me at my home at about 6, I’m sure you already know where that is.”

He gave me one last lingering look, nodded, and left. Not two minutes after he left, Ariana began to cry. It was time for her afternoon feeding. I grabbed her out of the play yard to change her diaper. I then sat on the rocking chair Tristan had set up for me in the corner to nurse my daughter.

As she suckled at my breast I stared into eyes so much like her fathers. I loved her so much and I knew our time of peacefulness had come to an end. There would be no more hiding. 

Tonight I would have to tell Devin of the secret I was keeping from him.

He was going to find out he was a father, and I was going to have to share my daughter’s heart with the man that broke mine.