Only the Beginning

I arrive at the castle by mid day. Palace guards and hopeful girls are everywhere.

I stick to myself, I need to win so badly. I have to prove to my family I can do good for the family name.

All of my brothers that are of age has married into successful families. My parents were convinced I'd fall short and marry a lower number, or even worse, not marry at all.

I venture through the castle halls, admiring the art work that hung on the walls for generations.

I come across the portraits of the royal family, and I can't help but critique them. They are done well, but you can tell the artist fixed their imperfections.

What a shame, the human face is one to celebrate, not change for social norms.

I continue down halls, my dress sweeps across the floor. I can't help but feel like I'm home.

I wonder my way to my room. I've brought my art supplies and parchment to the castle.

I sit down at my desk and put on my glasses. I draw and draw until the sun is too low to see correctly by.

Then I light a candle and prepare for bed. Graphite smudges my arm, but I don't care.

Tomorrow we meet the prince. Tomorrow I begin my destiny. Tomorrow my life begins.

Everything is resting on tomorrow.