Gabriel's Farewell

I've been living for so long,
Many seasons have passed me by.
I've seen kingdoms through ages
Rise and fall,
I've seen it all.

But I'd never seen anything as beautiful as her. I loved her. Despite her being human, despite her human flaws, I though she was perfect. Her smile, her laugh, it gave so much beauty and meaning to my world. In my long life I felt something I had never felt before. But, like humans do, she was taken from me.

I should have returned to heaven, I should have found her and spent eternity with her there. I should have, but I didn't. Maybe it was my own cowardice that got in the way. Maybe I still hoped that dad would pity me, his youngest son, and bring her back to me. So I waited. I waited for many years hoping that she would be reborn, but she never was.

As Michael and Lucifer prepared for their grand battle. I waited, I accepted the end. When two bothers told me to stand up and fight I told them, "I just want it to be over. " because when it was all over I could find her again, couldn't I?

But I did fight. I stood up to my brother, the brother I loved. I stood up for her, I stood up for those two reckless brothers, and I stood up for all of humanity. That's what she would have wanted me to do.

Now, I lay here on the ground. The life draining out of me. Would she be proud of me? Would I finally be able to see her again? There are tears in my eyes as I say one final prayer. I did a good job didn't I, dad? Are you proud of me, Dad, because I really tried this time.

I closed my eyes and I smiled. I think I see her smiling at me.