Chapter V

Diana

I descend down the uneven, stone stairs leading down into the pitch blackness. I had grabbed a meager lantern on my way; however it only helped me see two feet in front of me and no further. I grab hold of the folds of my dress and lift it so the bottom brushes my ankles. I make sure I place my foot carefully and firmly on each step as I make my way down. It's a long process, but eventually, I manage to get to the bottom of the stairs without injuring myself.

My hand gentle grazes the side of the cold, rough wall feeling my way through the labyrinth like jail. I bite my top lip and try not to feel nervous, but I found myself trembling as I walk. I never realized how afraid of the dark I was until today. When I was younger, I would be so scared of being alone in the dark. Even when I wasn't a child anymore, I still wanted company when I ventured out at night. Without my mother here, I feel so exposed; so vulnerable. The smallest noise makes me jump in fright.

 As I inch my way through the narrow halls, I feel my heart beating out of my chest. I hear my own uneven, deep breaths as I make my way along the rough, stone floor. I haven't felt frightened quite like this in many years.

Shadows of trees begin to grow on the wall; their silhouettes almost popping out at me from the dim light of the lantern that was cast upon the wall. Strange, I think to myself, Why would there be trees down here?

Suddenly I feel the room growing. I take a look around me and realize the room didn't grow, but I got smaller. My surroundings change from the pitch black walls of the prison to the midnight cloudy sky. Dark branches stretch up and look as if they touch the pale, bright moon in the sky. Fog forms around my feet and rises higher and higher until I can only see the murky shadows of the trees surrounding me.

All of the sudden, I am seven years old again and lost in the woods. I remember this clearly and how scared I was; the crooked trees seemed to grab at me and the crows looked as if they wanted to hunt me down.; their voices screeching in my ear. I felt so small, weak and alone.

"Diana?" I hear a desperate scream come from the distance. I turn around frantically trying to pinpoint the voice. Tears of fear run from my eyes.

"Mum!" I scream back helplessly. The darkness seems to be closing in on me. I let out cries loudly and fall to the ground. What's wrong with me? I've lived this before yet I feel as if it's the first time. "Mum! Help! I'm here!" I scream.

"Diana!" I feel gentle arms wrap around me. I cry heavily into my mother's shoulder. She feels so far away even though she's holding me now. "Did you get lost honey?" I manage to nod into her shoulder.

"Don't you worry, I'm here. I'll always be here," she whispers in my ear. There is so much sincerity in her voice; so much that I would believe right here and then that her words are true even though I know they are not.

I hug her tightly not wanting to let her go ever. The surroundings begin to fade back into the filthy walls of the prison. No, I think, It's too soon! However the memory keeps fading away becoming more and more distant.

Mum breaks away from the hug to look at me. Her warm, compassionate smile makes me burst into tears again; how I've missed seeing that smile everyday. Her ghostly face is getting harder to see.

"Never leave mum," My voice cracks. She chuckles lightly. Her face is transparent and is almost gone. Her genuine voice says inside my head, "I'll never leave baby. I promise." She disappears.

I am snapped back into reality. Realizing I dropped my lantern I bend down to pick it up, but I stop; not bothering to because it had already broken and gone out. I sniffle and breathe in deeply. I hadn't realized I'm still crying. I wipe the tears away with the sleeve of my dress.

"You promised mum," I say out loud. I hesitate; even though I had said it, I'm shocked at myself. "You promised you'd never leave."

I look towards the ceiling. "But you did," my voice breaks. I quickly start walking down the halls more swiftly than I had before; more determined to find the cell than I had been before. Tears fall from my eyes again. And you're never coming back. I think as I close my eyes and try to picture the my mother's warm, welcoming smile once again and try not to let go of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!

Sorry for the short chappie, but it was the best I could do....anyways tell me what you think of it! I appreciate all of your feedback :) thanks!

~'Ponine