Good Life

My hand rested against my cheek as the sun’s ray burned my ear. For some reason I loved its heat on the side of my face.  I could feel my eyelids grow heavy as I watched the hills and trees roll past my window. We’d been in the car for almost four hours; when are we gonna get there?

I turned up the music playing through my ear buds, sighing as my siblings in the back seat sang their annoying car songs even louder.  My new favorite song, “Good Life”, was playing. I smiled, just like I always did when this song played. I don’t know if it was the whistling, or the lyrics, or the rhythm, but it just made me happy no matter what I was doing, like music always did.   I placed my hand on my shades, lowering them from the top of my head to the bridge of my nose, and closed my eyes.  It was the third week of June, and I could not wait to get to camp. We hadn’t been here since I was 8, and I couldn’t wait to go back.  I imagined all the amazing things I wanted to happen this summer. I kept having dreams of me walking on the beach with a pack of new friends at night, and I was kinda afraid my dream wouldn’t become reality. I mean, I wasn’t a loser, but I wasn’t exactly Miss Popular back in my home town. I had my own little group of friends, but I’d never been good at making new ones, especially when I barely knew anyone. But I promised myself I wouldn’t be afraid to talk to people, and make new friends. Maybe even meet a cute boy. Yes, I would make this summer before freshman year memorable.

I knew it wouldn’t be the same as all the other times I’d been here, since my dad wasn’t with us. He doesn’t come on our vacations anymore, at least not the same ones as mom. He left us over 2 years ago. I’d taken it pretty hard at first. A big portion of my life, he’d been the one that had stayed at home while my mom went off to work, so I’d always felt closer to him. But after what he did, I never looked at him the same again. A liar. A betrayer. But I’m still very grateful he didn’t disappear from my life completely like some dads do after a painful divorce, because no matter what he did, I still love him. He only lives a couple of towns away. Still, I often wish I could have been a better daughter. Maybe he would have stayed if I did. I missed him. A lot. But I’d be calling him as often as I could since I knew if anything happened, he’d be easier to talk to.

 I had just wriggled myself in a comfortable position in my seat and was about to drift off when I heard my sister, Haley, give a little shriek as my brother, Brandon, yelled “We’re here!”  I sat straight up and slid my neon green sunglasses back onto my hair. Sure enough, there’s the sign: “Welcome to Camp Mill!”  I squealed with delight as my mom laughed, “We made it!” She turned the old silver van down the bumpy road and parked the car in front of the lobby. Brandon and Haley followed her in to get the keys, while I just stood outside and took it all in. It was exactly how I remember: the dining hall, the scent of pine needles, the sound of tennis balls being hit back and forth on the court, beautiful skies over head, the cool wind blowing my hair into my face and distracting me from the blazing heat. It was paradise.  After mom got our room key, we drove to our cabin, which was right on the lake. Ignoring my mom’s requests to help with the luggage, I kicked off my flip flops and ran towards the water. I jumped over the stone ledges and stood right next to the lake, letting the water barely touch the edges of my toes. A sighed with happiness and plumped right down in the sand. I closed my eyes and just listened to the small waves that the speed boats passing by made crash against the shore line, the summer breeze whistling through the trees, the joyful scream of a blonde teenage girl being thrown into the cold water. I slowly opened my eyes and just knew this summer was going to be one for the history books. 

************************************

End of chapter 1 :)

Please let me know what you think!

Should I continue posting it, or is it not that good?

Let me know!

Love you all <3