Prologue

I pushed open the heavy wooden door and sprinted up the stairs that creaked in disagreement. Voices boomed behind me, taunting and terrifying me, as I ran through the never ending corridors.

I'm going to die

Turning around, I saw shadows dance across the walls and inhuman hisses reverberate in every corner of the house.

They were getting closer.

I scrambled into a room which resembled one of a small child's sleeping quarters, with toys scattered everywhere and little clothing ripped and shredded. But that was not what I needed. Looking around the room hurriedly, I found what I desired.

A huge dresser stood tall and proud in the corner and by the looks it, it didn't seem light. I scrambled to its side and used whatever energy I had left to barricade the door.

Panic started to set in as I rushed to push the dresser completely in front of the door. Everything I had worked for would be all wasted.

Don't you dare give up. You are not weak.

Giving it a final mighty shove it settled into its place in front of the door. Loud thumping footsteps sounded outside the door. The cackling and jabbering of the creatures came to a stop. It was dead silent.

Hesitantly, I backed away from the door, taking one step at a time. A loud blow to the door made the dresser tremble and an unwanted shriek leave my lips. The blows never stopped and the dresser started to careen. It was only a matter of time before they can get to me.

I turned around and did a quick sweep of the room, praying for a safe escape. My only choice was the window, but we were on the fourth floor. I darted to the window and opened it wide. My heart stopped as I saw a figure down below.

I didn't have time to duck away from the window, but the figure spoke.

"Kate?! Kate!"

The voice made me freeze and I sighed in relief. I sprinted back to the window and looked down. He bore no injury, yet his shirt was ripped and stained with blood. His raven hair looked completely windswept, falling slightly down over his, panicked emerald eyes.

 "Kate you need to jump," He looked at me pleadingly. At that moment a tremendous blow was bashed against the door, making me jump in fright.

"Kate you need to jump now. Kate please!," He held out his arms reassuringly and a greater emotion flashed across his eyes. I looked down at the height from the window and I felt my chest tighten.

"I-I can't!" I screamed clutching the window pane tightly, as I felt my heart beat faster. At that moment the grand dresser tilted forward and smacked back against the door. This continuously happened, each time the dresser getting closer to the floor.

I looked back at the window and considered my options.

Jump from the window and break a couple of bones, or stay and let them get me.

I felt myself pale and jogged over to the window. I sat on the ledge and swung my feet out and immediately felt queasy at the drop.  He was still there waiting for me shouting reassuring words, but they didn't seem to help at all.

The dresser finally gave out and fell to the floor with a smack. I let out a shaky breath and closed my eyes, revelling in the feeling of the wind brushing my face as I pushed off the ledge.

And then I was falling.

***********************************************

Picture on the side is Kate :)