“Did you see that girl with them?” one of the voices said, and Kiayani recognised it as the bar attendant.

“I know,” said another girl’s voice. It was high and girly making Kiayani feel like she was listening to a terrible actor from a play.

“I bet they forced her to come along,” said the blonde bar maid.

“She didn’t look to happy to me,” replied the friend.

Kiayani frowned; they must be talking about her. A jolt went through her stomach.

“I think we should make sure she’s all right,” said the blonde, “you haven’t seen those boys around before have you?”

“No, but, I heard that they were hanging around this morning outside the village.”

“Travellers do you think?” the blonde asked.

“Most definitely,” the friend whispered back, “I think we should help her out, who knows what those boys want with her.”

Kiayani’s heart skipped a beat. Those boys were friendly and she knew they wouldn’t touch her, they had too much pride. She scowled at the girls voices. There was some clashing about coming from the direction which she guessed held the kitchen.

“I’ve got to go,” the blonde said.

As inconspicuously as she could Kiayani straightened up and walked through the crowded tap room to her table. She slid down next to Leo and he muttered something to her which she didn’t hear. She just nodded and took a long drink from her glass.

Rute and Yulan were just talking about a funny cat they saw on their wanderings through the village when the blonde bar maid came back, a large platter in her arms. She placed it on the table gently. She slid it down the table, smiling broadly.

“Here you go,” she said sweetly, her voice was almost unrecognisable to Kiayani.

Frowning slightly she grabbed half a sandwich before they would all disappear. She chewed slowly while the boys ate ravenously and talked loudly between bites.

They spent the rest of the day just walking around and about the village. Kiayani spent most of that time alone sitting on a bench. While the others ran off to look in shops and explore she just sat and thought. Those girls seemed like they were up to something. After an hour or so however she felt like reading so she got up, intending to go upstairs to her room and fetch her book. However at that very moment the door of the inn swung open and the blond bar attendant walked out with another girl. She must have been the friend she was talking to earlier for they were both chatting away again. The friend’s small eyes were raking the square for any sign of Kiayani. She was short and slightly overweight, her cheeks looking very enlarged against her tiny features.

Avoiding the gaze Kiayani tried to blend in with the bench and she watched only out of the corner of her eye. What were those two intending to do? Then even with all of the noise of people moving around the shops she could hear the girls idle chatter stop. They must have found her because a new pair of footsteps echoed through the square.

Kiayani hoped that they hadn’t seen her, she didn’t want to get into trouble. Koran had specifically said that they were staying for one night only. She closed her eyes.

“Are you okay?” it was the blonde’s voice and a hand rested on her shoulder.

Nerves tingled from the spot where she was touched. Kiayani’s eyes fluttered open.

“I’m fine,” she said calmly.

“Are you sure?” the friend asked, her hand closing around one of her arms.