chapter 2

i pick up one of my pillows and throw it at the sleeping ali krieger across from me, who groans and rolls over to look at me.

"what do you want squirrel?" she hisses, as i throw up both hands in innocence.

"can we pleeaaasssee go to the beach?" i plead, giving my best puppy-dog eyes.

"you spent like, three hours there last night, and you almost died," ali brings up, as i simply shrug my shoulders. "oh, did you meet someone?"

"possibly," i mumble, as my cheeks pink up and ali sits up excitedly in her bed.

"what's his name?" she practically shouts.

"uhh, brody," i lie, saying the first name that comes to mind. i'm not ready to... express my feelings yet. "he's a lifeguard."

"well we can go to the beach, but you have to introduce me to this brody guy," ali says with a wink, as she gets up and heads to the shower. i laugh and nod nervously, contemplating how i'm gonna make this work.

——————————

after getting ready and heading downstairs, ali and i arrive at the beach where i was yesterday. i scan the lifeguard chairs and spot both of them, not very far apart which is convenient for me.

"well, brody's the one in that chair," i say, gesturing towards the guy who rescued me from the water yesterday, whom i definitely did not have any feelings for.

"ooh he's cute, you know if i drove in that lane," ali giggles, punching me in the arm as i wince. before i can say anything she runs up to him and breaks into conversation. i groan to myself and follow close behind, making sure she doesn't say anything stupid.

"so you must be the brody i've heard so much about! i'm ali, kelley's bff," she grins, reaching up to shake his hand.

"uh, kelley-?" he raises his brow.

"the girl you saved last night, from the giant wave? man i got an earful," she chuckles, as i attempt to fake-smile and fake-blush.

"oh, right. just doin my job," he replies, casually flexing his biceps as he looks off into the water.

"uh ali, can you go get me a burger? thanks," i hint to her.

"oh you want some alone time? i gotchu girl," she whispers (extremely loudly i might add) as she heads off towards the boardwalk.

"so you're into me, huh?" brody smirks, taking off his shades and looking down at me.

"i hate to break it to ya, but you're not who i'm into," i sigh, my eyes wandering to the girl sitting in the lifeguard chair a little ways down. brody follows my gaze and a look of shock creeps into his face.

"hope? really?"

"hope, well i didn't know her name but yes, that's the one," i reply. hope... even her name gives me butterflies.

"well i can tell you she's single, just moved to ocean city and kinda sucks at being a lifeguard, and i'm pretty sure she swings both ways if you know what i mean," he says, as i continue to admire her. "why don't you go talk to her?"

"what, are you my wingman now?" i laugh.

"sure, because unfortunately your love life is the only thing i can really save on this beach right now," he smiles, as my heart flutters with uncertainty. "go up to her, i bet she'll remember you from last night."

"oh, and do me one more favor. if that girl ali comes back, give me a heads up, okay? she sort of thinks i'm crushing on you," i sheepishly ask.

"no dip sherlock, but i've got you covered," he replies, as i gather all my courage and head over to hope's chair.

"hey, hope right?" i greet, as she looks over at me.

"oh hey! you're the girl from yesterday! sorry, i didn't catch your name," she says in a friendly manor, which is a good sign.

"kelley o'hara. a lot of people call me squirrel, im not sure why," i chuckle.

"well i'm hope solo, but you apparently already know that. did brody tell you?"

"yeah, he seems like he's into you," i blurt. man, i'm seriously on a roll today.

"i'm not interested, i think i have my eye on someone else," she says, as my heart sinks.

"oh, well it's nice to see you again," i nervously reply, looking down at the ground.

"uh, so you surf?" she states. "oh wait, i think brody wants you for something."

i turn around to see brody frantically pointing to the incoming ali krieger.

"damnit, yeah i have to go," i tell her. i turn on my heel.

"w-wait!" she says as i look back at her. she scribbles something on a pad of paper, tears it off and hands it to me.

"i mean i'll be here every day, but i don't know how long you're staying so i'll give you my number," she grins, as i gladly take it.

"thanks, see you soon," i smile and run off, as she waves behind me.

i skid to a stop at Brody's chair, just as ali arrives.

"so what happened while i was away?" ali asks, handing me the burger.

"your friend got the courage to ask me out, and we're going to dinner tomorrow night," Brody pipes up. i shoot him a glare as ali squeals with delight.

"i hear wedding bells!" she says, as brody and i exchange looks and i use all effort possible not to crack up.

"slow down there krieger," i reply with a light chuckle, as she skips away. "i should probably go get her."

"well i guess i'll see you at dinner tomorrow night?" he laughs, handing me his phone number.

"you have no idea how much i hate you right now," i huff, taking it unwillingly.

"well if you want a shot at hope, i'm your guy, so you might wanna be a little nicer to me," he replies with a smirk. i simply roll my eyes and run off after my insane friend.

————————
i didn't really know how to end it so sorry if the ending is awkward haha
vote/comment please!!💘💘

saved; osoloOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara