Chapter 5

~Billie's POV~
I kept my hand gripped like a vise on Dellie's upper arm, scared she'd leave my side. We were being given odd looks, and I'm sure it had to do with my skin. My skin was only a light brown, seeing as my mother was the palest woman you'd ever seen, but my father was black. I'm sure no one cared if I was half black or straight from Africa, I was a dark girl walking in the upper middle class streets. I mentioned this to Dellie, and she sighed, "If anyone asks, you're my cook's daughter, acting as my eyes." I rolled my dark eyes, slacking my grip on her arm. Sometimes it was easy to forget this girl spent the first crucial years of her life on the street, she seemed so innocent. Her blind eyes held a naive light, as if she never grew up. It pained me to know that she could never find the breathtaking colors that swam through her irides. I shook my head, curls bobbing into my line of view, 'If I can just find some cheap work, we won't have to rely on the money given to us by Ms. Moore for the rest of our lives. We would need a place to stay, and that alone would probably cost us all of what we had and then some. I suppose we can go to the side of town where-' Dellie's voice jolted me from my thoughts, "Billie, do you know where we're going, because wherever we seem to be going, I hear music." Of course! That would make sense, I looked around and realized we had quickly made it to the lower income side of town, and upbeat music played faintly from a few grungy storefronts. Maybe we would be able to find someone who could take pity on two orphans, people had to have hearts, right?