Chapter 25: Runaway Bride

Start from the beginning

"I am not so sure..."
"Please Ann, I've been staring out this window for an hour. I would have bolted by now if I wasn't in a designer gown with a three foot train."

"Fine," I said. "But I got that dress at forever 21 and I want it back.

We both stripped down and she quickly put on my dress, not needing assistance. I pulled on her wedding dress, noting it was not meant for short person. Lacy button me up as she spoke.

"I have a change of clothes in the room next door," Lacy said. "You can take this off then, unless of course you want Jerry."

"You're funny," I said. "Honestly, I am excited to tell him you're leaving him. He deserves it."

"Yeah, but it's not about what he deserves anymore. I don't know what I am going to do, but you're right Ann, it's time to start over. It's time for a brand new Lacy."

"I love you," I said. I felt odd to say it, but it was the kind of moment when Lacy needed to hear she was accepted. "You're going to be ok."
"I hope so," she said. "And I am sorry for running away."
"You have every right," I said. "I will handle things, don't worry."
She hopped out, jumping down on the grass. From the window, there was a direct route to the parking lot. Security wasn't guarding the windows, since they locked from the inside. I guess no one had anticipated someone wanting to escape from the wedding. I moved the dresser, the giant luxury gown sagging as I moved. I opened the door, and Suzy and Robert looked honestly dumbfounded.
"Where the hell is Lacy? And why are you in her wedding dress?"
"She left," I said. "Jerry screwed her bridesmaid, so the wedding is off. She borrowed my dress to leave in, and I put hers on so I wouldn't be naked. So, Suzy, could you bring me Lacy's spare clothes?"

"Oh God," Suzy said. "This is a disaster."

"Clothes, please," I asked. Suzy turned, going to get the clothes despite the drama.
"She left out the window," Robert asked. "That doesn't sound like you were trying to save the wedding."
"Well, I did the right thing. I'll help Suzy make the announcement, ok?"

"Ok, but can I please tell Jerry he's been jilted? I think I will enjoy that."
"I want to watch," I said. "But you can do all the talking."
Suzy brought me the spare clothes and Robert turned to leave.
"Oh, and Ann, you make a beautiful bride," Robert said.

"Dear God," Suzy said. "Don't you see we have crisis here! Stop flirting!"

She slammed the door in his face, sighing.

"It will be alright Suzy," I said. "Can you help me out of this dress?"

"Sure," she said, sounding frustrated. "This day cannot get any worse."

"Everything is nonrefundable, so you'll still get free cake," I said.

"Great, and then I can watch Robert drool over you while I contemplate my first big disaster wedding."

"Suzy, this sort of thing happens," I said. The dress was undone now, and I grabbed Lacy's shorter dress. "Remember the Holster wedding?"

"When the groom left with the father of the bride," Suzy said. "I remember."

"See, it happens. Besides, we can hang out once we finish the task of telling all these people the truth. Then the three amigos can hang."

"More like the third wheel and the perfect couple," Suzy said, resentment in her tone.

"It's not like that," I said. "But Suzy, do you... Do you like Robert?"

"Why would you ask me that?"

"You just seem jealous. I mean, there's nothing to envy but still... You'd tell me."

"The last thing I need is some guy with so many complications," she said.

"But do you like him?"

"Let's go," Suzy said turning. "I have a million things to deal with now and Robert isn't one of them."

"Ok," I said, wondering quietly. How long had I been missing out on Suzy's subtle crush on Robert?

***

"The biggest regret of my life is not videotaping Jerry's hung over reaction to being dumped."

"He literally cried," I laughed. "But he was more upset about the bad press than losing Lacy. I think she made a good call."

"Yeah, Jerry is a jerk," Robert said. "Thank you for helping out with the damage control. It took forever to return all of those gifts."

"No problem," I said. "I just hope Suzy is feeling better. Her eye got that sort of twitch thing going."

"I'll make it up to her somehow," Robert said, his voice a bit distant and almost confused.

We were quiet for a minute, standing outside of my door. If this had been a date, he would have kissed me goodnight. But we were in a weird position, where it looked and felt like a date but it wasn't. Robert got a serious look before he spoke.

"Ann, did I ever tell you I took the SATs six times?"

"No, that is a lot. I only took it once. Why are you telling me this?"

"See, I didn't like my score," He said. "I got the same score each time, but I kept trying. After six tries, I knew there was nothing else I could've done to get what I wanted."

"I think I know where this is going."

"Yeah," Robert said, smiling at me. "I know you've rejected my advances, a lot actually. And we're in a good place, as friends, but I think this is my last ditch speech. And just like that sixth SAT test, I have to know I tried. I brought this from the office."

Robert pulled out the Charm bracelet he'd given me when we were dating, and I smiled. It sparkled in the hallway lights, and I felt a sadness for what could have been if we'd made different choices.

"So, I am fully prepared for rejection," Robert said. "But I need to know, is there any chance now or in the future we could be together? I love you Ann, and I can move on, but I don't want to."

"Robert, you were my first love, and that means something. It always will. But at the end of the day, I wouldn't have fallen for Andrew if I truly loved you. You and I, we're a great idea. But in practice we just don't work. I love you Robert, but not the way you want me to. I will always be your friend though. "

"So, you think Andrew can give you what you want then?"

"No, I get what I want from hard work and being the kind of person I want to be. I don't need a boyfriend to be happy. But I think Andrew is the kind of man who respects that, and who I can share my life with. I haven't known him long, but he challenged me and made me want more for myself. I mean, it's over and he is gone, but I still want those things."
"So, does that mean you are going to let both of us go?"
"I don't know what will happen with Andrew. I think I love him, honestly. Or that I could love him if we ever got a chance again."

A voice from behind me called out, startling Robert as he approached us.

"Do you mean that?" Andrew asked, causing me to turn to see him.

My heart kicked up and I realized that I'd missed him more than I could express and he was here now. He'd also just heard me gushing about how in love with him I was to my ex-boyfriend. I could only hope he came here to tell me he felt the same.