Chapter 33: Oppurtuinities

Start from the beginning

Anthony took a step towards me, slowly like he was approaching something dangerous or something that would scare easily. "What is this?" He took another step towards me.

I opened my mouth ready to scream my answer at him but quickly closed it as I realised that I had no idea what I was going to say. What could I say? What did I want to say? Was he expecting me to say something in particular? I sighed defeated. My head was ready to burst with everything that was running through my mind. Too much was happening too quickly, my head couldn't keep up.

"I don't know."

Anthony took another step. "Then why try to define it?" Another step. He was standing within an arm's reach away from me now but he didn't make a move to touch me - not yet. I was grateful, I don't think I was ready for him to touch me again - for him to confuse my thoughts even more. It was difficult on a good day to sort through my thoughts with each and every single voice in my head having their own opinions which were conflicting with each other. But when he stood so close, when he touched me, there was another voice that entered my mind and it screamed at me threatening to consume me. "Why keep looking into everything with such a critical edge?"

"That's what I do."

"Then maybe you need a new approach." He suggested.

I frowned a little confused with where he was going with this. "A new approach?"

"Yes Sky." He gently reached out and took my hands in his, his thumbs gently stroking the skin in an attempt to calm me. "Trust me."

I looked at him skeptically for a moment, weary of this new approach of 'trusting him'. It's not that I didn't trust him, because in the majority of ways, I did trust him. It was the way he said it, like there was much more behind his words, where telling him I trusted him and letting him lead me away had a hidden meaning, more than just trusting him.

I nodded my head and agreed despite my concerns. He gave me a small smile and gently started leading me away. I took a few steps towards his new direction when my right foot slipped in a patch of mud on the road by the beach. As my feet started to waver under me and my balance fell off key, Anthony let go of my hand and let me fall.

I was covered in mud in only seconds with the mud puddle being deeper than I first thought. My skin cooled with the cool mud seeping into my clothes and bits of mud hid itself in my hair.

Yeah trust him Sky, what's the worst that could happen? Be careful next time it might be off a cliff!

"Whoops." Anthony said as he looked down at me.

"Whoops? Fucken whoops!"

"Let me help you up." He rushed to my side and quickly grabbed my hand without my permission.

I Pushed his hand away and stood up without assistance. "No I got it thanks." I spoke with as much sarcasm as I could muster up. I faked an innocent smile. "Trust me Anthony." I reached out and pushed his chest, catching him by surprise and making him fall back before he could react. He land with a groan in the middle of a mud puddle just as I had seconds before.

Spinning around, I stormed off headed for the rental car that waited for us.

***

Arriving back home I suddenly missed the sun and the warmth. The weather was cold in comparison to the last few days which made me wish I had bought a sweater or knit with me. By the time we arrived back at the hotel the sun was beginning to set and I was well and truly exhausted. I was ready for bed.