Chapter 2

Song Playlist: "Catch A Wave" by The Beach Boys

The move to Hawthorne was very quick. I wondered when my parents negotiated about the move and house in Hawthorne. I knew we were going to move sooner of later becasue of my father's job as a lawyer. My brother helped my father pack, while my mother and I organized our things. We finished packing in a week.

My brother and I decided to spend our last day at the beach with all of our friends. They invited us to the beach, and it was the best, last day, ever. My brother and I arrived at the beach around 10 a.m to find our large group of friends waiting with their surfboards ready to go. We surfed for two hours, then decided to eat lunch.

I sat in with my friends Rebecca, Donna, Anna, Julie, and Christa. My brother made a seperate circle with all of his football guys, their girlfriends, and his girlfriend, Diane. The girls teased me about maybe meeting a surfer guy that would later become my boyfriend. I simply just ignored them, but laughed along with them.

The next morning, we headed to Hawthorne, California. My brother and I drove in his car, while my parents drove in theirs. We arrived there around 8 a.m. My father and brother immediately started unpacking our stuff, while my mother decided to prepare lunch. I went inside the house to give myself a tour and it was bigger than our house in San Diego. There were 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. I put my bag in one of the empty rooms, which indicated to my brother that the room was mine.

I went downstairs to see what everyone was doing. My parents went to introduce themselves, while my brother was taking a break. He looked at me, and knew what I was going to ask.

"Katherine, I know.. Let's go to the beach and ride some waves!"

We headed to the beach in Hawthorne. There were so many people at the beach relaxing and riding waves. We loved it! My brother and I raced to the water. We surfed for three hours, and met a couple of regulars who come to surf. I noticed my brother talking to one specific guy in the group. He was real good-looking, and had that beach type look. My brother probably noticed me glancing at them, so they began paddling towards me.

"Katherine, this is Dennis Wilson. Dennis, this is my little sister, Katherine."

Little? I must of glanced at my brother with a death stare because Dennis laughed a little.

I quickly said, "Nice to meet you Dennis. Sorry I did not acknowledge you sooner. My brother forgot that I'm not little."

"That's fine, and don't worry... I know you're not little as you seem."

We all hit it off. We surfed for another hour, then had a long conversation in the sand. Dennis told us about his family, and the band he was in with his brothers and others. They had already performed their single, "Surfin' Safari" on a tv show. He was the drummer of the group, which impressed my brother and I.

We learned Dennis was our neighbor after we followed him all the way to our neighborhood. It was a coincidence, and we laughed about it. But, Greg and I realized our parents were standing in Dennis' driveway. Our mother had the death stare in her eyes.