1

"Sophia!" My mother yelled, waking me up.

I could barely hear her voice over the sounds of the air-aid sirens going off to warn us of enemy aircraft ahead. All this war stuff really had feared many people and made everyone value their lives so much. Family to me at this time was the most important even though I was an only child with no father due to the war taking him from our home to fight.

I guess it was the right thing to do, wait it is the right thing to do but its my dad and God forbid anything will happen to him. I just want him to return home to us safe and unharmed but i know that is very unlikely.

Mother says I need to be sent to the country as Birmingham is becoming very dangerous each day. I think its scaring her to be honest, but shes trying to be strong for me. Truth be known i am terrified. I cannot loose my mother or father. Many children have been sent away recently due to more bombings.

My friend from school was sent away a few days ago. I sure hope he is okay. Being a 17 year old girl i have a lot of responsibilities.  I mean soon I will have to contribute to the war effort like joining the Land Army, RAF or even being a nurse soon. My cousin has just become a nurse to help the injured and shes been transferred to America, shes more than happy to be meeting the |American men, (but i don't blame her).

"Sophia Martin hurry up right now" My mother screams for me again.

I grab my dressing gown, my picture of my mum, dad and I run downstairs as fast as i can with my mother. We both run outside to the shelter and we both see enemy aircraft above our heads. It made me feel extremely vulnerable and tiny, as if we were little ants being trod on, that's what it felt like. War can really change man. Mum opened the shelter door and we clambered in as quick as we could and shut the door.

When we shut that door our problems felt as if they disappeared and no war was on, even if we could her bombs go off, we didn't feel apart of it. However once we leave that shelter after spending the night there you knew you would be at risk whether it be your neighbours house has been bombed or even worse, your own. Fear always ran in our blood whenever we stepped out as if the whole process was about to start again.

"Attention, would all parents ensure that their children have the appropriate identification papers." The conductor shouted to all of the mothers and their children as they were about to leave everything they knew behind.

My mother hugged me like I would never see her again. It really did terrify me thinking I may never see her again and come home to a flat house. Anxiety would sure be the death of me while I am away.

"You warm enough?" my mother worried. "Now honey you have to keep this on you. Be sure to keep this on."

She said referring to my name tag i had to wear so people could identify me throughout my journey to the country. My mother kept moving the tag around ensuring it was safe and secure and would not fall off. I put my hand on hers to calm her down. She was shaking but the effect I had when i touched her hand seemed to help her greatly to calm down.

"Mum I am going to be just fine" I smiled to sooth her worry. "I promise"

"I know you will be" she sniffled trying to hold back the tears.

I hugged her tightly and put my suitcase down. She hugged me back and we both were crying our hearts out. I have never been away from my mum for very long and i cant bare to think how much i will miss her.

"Off you go" she ushers me to the train that is about to board us. "Look after yourself darling"

She kisses my head slowly.

"I love you mum" I hug her not wanting to let her go.

"I love you too" she squeezes me.

"All children come and bored the train please, we shall be leaving shortly" the announcer said into the microphone.

I hugged my mum once more and went to the line were the army were cheeking our passports and name tags. I felt as if i was some sort of animal being taken to market to be sold and categorised. It  belittled us but i guess all that mattered was that we were safe in the countryside.

I went into a cabin were a small boy and girl sat together, they looked like brother and sisters which made me think. Will they be sent to the same home? I prayed hoping they would be together. I put my suitcase on the top of the train and went to the window and opened. A whistle was blown to signify the trains movement about to start. I waved to my mother who was blowing kisses at me.

"I love you mum!" i yelled and she yelled it back to me.

As we got further away i sat down on my seat and lent my head against the side. Tears threatened to spill from my eyes but i could not let them. I needed to be strong for my mother and have the hope that i will see her someday soon. I smiled at the thought of being back with her. But that is the least of my worries. I am staying with some Professor Kirke for my time being evacuated until the war ends. I wonder if he has helped any other children and has taken them into his home.

I guess my adventure begin today.