The Cheeto Needs Cheat Codes

You'd been sitting watching the weird little frog thing play a video game for at least an hour now.
At first you had been trying to strike up some sort of conversation, but every time you did he would yell at you in his annoying scratchy voice until you shut up, so you just stayed quiet and watched.
Even after a full hour you still had no idea what the game was about or even what kind of game it was. Just when you thought you had it figured out, something to contradict your idea would happen. It had elements of all sorts of games in it.

Perhaps that explained why the alien toddler was so, so bad at it.

He'd been stuck on the same part near the beginning of the game for most of an hour and had started the whole thing over again, and again, and again.
After what seemed like ages he just threw the controller on the ground, giving up.
"Hey, can I try?" You reached for the controller. The gross carrot colored frog just sat there with his arms crossed, completely unresponsive, so you decided to just go ahead, moving some garbage out of the way to sit down.

The controller wasn't any kind you'd ever seen before, so you took a moment messing around with the game he just gave up on to familiarize yourself. When you restarted the game to play it for yourself you looked at the weird creature to see if he was showing any interest, but you couldn't tell because of his strange glasses that made it impossible to see his eyes. Seriously, he shouldn't be able to see through those. Why do they have those weird circles on them? I'm getting sidetracked here.

After the tutorial - oh, why didn't it occur to you that the tutorial would teach you the controls? - you quickly got farther than you had seen the frog alien get on any of his attempts. Somehow, you were better at it than he was, which made him clearly upset. It became far more obvious what the game was about as you got farther in, something along the lines of... Actually, you still had no idea what it was about. All the dialogue in the game was in a language you'd never heard or read before, but the toddler slash overgrown orange seemed very interested in the plot. "Do you think you could translate for me?" You looked at him and smiled, feeling a bit like a mother teaching her child to read. "Ugh, fine..." You felt like he was rolling his eyes, but couldn't tell because of THOSE STUPID GLASSES.

The game turned out to be quite interesting. It was about a detective investigating the sudden death of their friend at a Christmas party, and ending up traveling through many different virtual realities. This accounted for all the confusion over the different genres.

You took a break when you reached a save point, and turned to the weird little alien, reaching your hand out to him, attempting to initiate a high-5. "I think we make a good team in this game!" You grinned, but the pumpkin-y frog thing turned away.

"No."