one

[published: july 19th
edited: july 19th ]

She blinks her eyes, clearing the blur from her light nap.

Her surroundings are plain. White walls, curtains, and sheets. Dark, hard-wood floors.

Sunlight is shining through the window, thin curtains cast shadows around the room.

Her light brown hair is a tangled mess, her makeup is smeared across her face, which is dry, with tear-stained cheeks.

She knew she had probably looked like a mess. Due to what happened. She's never felt this way before. It's as if she's lost anything and everything that she's ever loved. However nothing had happened. It was another nightmare, formed by the dark thoughts in the back of her mind.

She rolled back her covers, and rubbed her eyes. She felt drained, her energy was replaced with sadness. Sadness that she was unable to remove from her head, that she couldn't do anything about.  She didn't understand why she'd frequently wake up like this. No one did. No doctor could diagnose a prescription that worked. No therapist could make her change, mentally. Nothing could help.

She drug her feet, shuffling slowly across the floor. She rinsed her ruined makeup off, and re-applied it, looking in her mirror. She wasn't insecure, like most girls. Though she didn't necessarily fully love herself, she knew she was lucky to even be alive. She just wished more people could think that about themselves.

She changed out of her sweats, pulling on a pair of ripped, black jeans. She replaced her black tank-top with a baseball-tee, and slid on a pair of socks.

Satisfied with her quick choice of outfit, she walked down the stairs of her and her brother's home. The first thing she noticed were two people on the couch, in which she identified to be her brother, Tyler, and his closest friend, Josh.

She had always thought Josh was good looking. However she simply never talked to him. She knew how much he meant to her brother. She didn't want to come between such a great friendship.

Besides, she figured Josh would necessarily like her in such a way. She let it be.

She walked to her kitchen, seeing a pizza box on the counter. Confused, she checks the time on the oven's clock, which reads six twenty-three pm. Opening the box with her left hand, she picks up a slice with her opposite hand. Biting into it, she walks into the living room where her brother was. She sits on the large, L-shaped tan couch. She always sits on the short part of the L-shape, where she could lay down and be comfortable. Silently snacking on he pizza slice, which had pepperoni and sausage on it, she scrolled through her Instagram feed.

"Hey, Aspyn," Josh calls out, taking her by surprise.

She smiles at him, and waves, soon turning back to her phone, as he does too. Tyler sits in the middle of the couch, watching a random show that was on the TV, making small talk with Josh.

Aspyn inhales deeply, sighing as she exhales. She walks back into the kitchen to grab a water, asking both of the boys on her couch if they wanted anything before she left.

When in the modern-style kitchen, she overheard her brother and his friend talking.

"No, no. There's no way I'll let you date her, I can't stand to see her sad. If you were to hurt her, I swear to you, you'd never hear the end of it" Tyler warns, glaring at Josh.

Aspyn, being her curious self, wants to know more. However if she was supposed to know about what the two boys were talking about, she would've been part of the conversation, so she let it be.