Chapter 3

"Well, this went better than expected." I shrugged as I helped my new best old friend, Maggie pour some tea.

Glenn shrugged too. "Yeah, I guess it's not so bad."

"Samirah," Maggie said.

"Mhm?" I asked, leaning forward.

"Could you be a dear and fetch me some of those oatmeal cookies?" she pointed to a table with a plate full of cookies.

"Oh yeah, sure." I said as I got up and picked up a plate at the table, setting two cookies on it and bringing them back to Maggie.

"Wow. I never really pictured you were so good with.. elders." Glenn commented as I sat back down.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I just kind of have a soft side for them, I guess."

"Hey, you two." Two men came into the room. "Come on."

"What-" I didn't get to finish my question as we were ushered into the hall, then had our hands tied behind our backs, duct tape over our mouths and bags put over our heads.

They guided us toward stairs and I felt the elevation getting higher, and then we finally climbed out of something and started walking on a flat surface again.

I felt hot breeze running through my hair and guessed we were on a roof.

Then, the bags got pulled off our heads and we saw Rick and Daryl, and some others including the boy talking to the leader of the building, and some of the other guys that worked here.

I saw Daryl's jaw clench as he looked up at us, his eyes settling on me.

Then we were soon taken away again, and put back into the room with the elders, no bags over our heads or hands tied.

Soon, the chat me and Maggie were having was disturbed when people were surrounding a dark-skinned old man, who looked to be having breathing trouble.

We rushed over to him. "Where's your inhaler?" I asked, and he pointed to a table with a grey inhaler on it.

I grabbed it and told the man to breathe as I set it in his mouth, pressing the top.

Then, I looked over my shoulder as the doors opened, and Philepé came and took over for me.

It was then I noticed that everyone was here, leaded by Rick.

I saw T-Dog and Daryl with him and As soon as he saw me, Daryl made a motion with his hand that said, "Get your ass over here, now."

I walked over and stood by him, but not looking at him, but watching the old man.

"What's happening?" Rick asked.

"Asthma attack, he just couldn't breathe all of a sudden." Glenn replied, trying to get a peak at the man over the heads of elders.

"We thought you were eaten by dogs, man!" T-dog said and I quirked an eyebrow at him, then me and Glenn exchanged confused looks before he stepped back to reveal three little chihuahua's sitting in a leopard print bed, one of them barking.

It was the biggest white one, he had his chest puffed out and his ears up straight.
After careful studies, I have determined that he is the Alpha.

I leaned over to Daryl and whispered, "I am ninety-nine point eight percent sure that one is the Alpha."

He leaned back over to me and whispered in a gruff voice, "I don't freaking care."

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"You could have at least gave us a hint, when you were on the roof." a pissed off Daryl said to me.

"Um, in case you haven't noticed, my MOUTH WAS DUCT TAPED SHUT." I explained LOUDLY.

He just rolled his eyes in reply.

Then, as we were talking about how Rick gave half our armoury to Big G when we all came to a screeching halt.

I gasped as I saw our truck had disappeared.

"Who would take our truck?" Daryl asked.

I sighed. "Merle."

While the guys went on ahead, I was about to follow them when I heard barking.

I turned to see a German Shepard barking at me in an alleyway.

It's fur was matted, its paws were stained yellow from standing in its own pee, and it looked starving, with its ribs showing.

Slowly, I carefully approached it, my hands low.

"Hey, buddy." I said quietly.

He trotted right up to me with his tongue lolling out cheerfully.

"Hi, baby." I smiled as I bent down, and he let me pat his face.

"Sam! Get away from that thing, you don't know where it's been!" I heard Daryl yell and I rolled my eyes, then looked over my shoulder and said "Shut up! He-" I stopped, looked under him then continued. "He is fine!"

"Hey, boy." I stood and to my surprise, he jumped up and put his paws on my shoulders, licking my face.

I laughed, patting his fur.

"Samirah! Put it down! It's dirty!" Daryl shouted.

I snorted. "Like we're any cleaner."

"Come on boy, come on!" I said as he dropped down and followed me to the guys.

He looked up at the group, his head cocked to the side and tongue lolling out of his mouth.

"Leave that thing, it's not coming with us." Daryl said bitterly.

"Aw, come on Daryl look at his face!" I exlaimed, bending down next to his and holding his face, aiming it at Daryl, whom received a look of disgust on his face.

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, you always talked about how you wanted a dog, now you've got one." I begged.

"Sam," Rick said. "You do realize if we take him back with us he's your responsibility, and his food is coming out of your portion."

"I can live with that!" I squealed as I took off. "Come on, boy!" I yelled over my shoulder and the dog came running after me.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Butch."

Daryl looked at me with a weird expression. "What?"

"That's his name. Butch." I smiled at the dog and I swear he smiled back.

Then, we heard a crunch. I froze, aiming my bow up and all around within a millisecond.

Then, I heard "Rawr...rawh.."

I turned to see a walker come out of the woods.

I shot it between the eyes and it fell instantly.

I walked over and pulled the arrow out of his eye when we heard a scream come from camp.

Followed by gunshots.