TROIS

CHAPTER THREE.
( A RUSH OF BLOOD TO THE HEAD )

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

EVERY warlock has a warlock's mark. Athena's warlock mark was green skin. Her green skin was glowing a shimmering emerald color in the sun when she stepped out of the portal onto the Institute's grounds. Isabelle was standing in front of the doors waiting for Athena, as she did yesterday.

Athena hurried up to Isabelle with a worried look and opened her arms out to her. Isabelle walked into them and embraced her. "What's wrong? I came as soon as you texted," Athena questioned.

Isabelle smiled and grabbed her hand, dragging her inside the Institute. Athena forgot how beautiful the Institute actually was, but she didn't have time to dwell on it because Izzy was smiling at her excitedly. She pulled her hand away from Izzy's grasp and raised her eyebrows. "What did you call me here for?"

Isabelle pulled her mouth into a wide smile and said, "Come with me to meet Clary's mundane friend." Athena glared at Izzy and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Really, Izzy, that's what you called me for?" She asked. "I thought something was wrong."

Isabelle ignored her and pulled her towards where Clary, her friend, Alec, and Jace were talking. "What exactly are runes?" Clary's friend asked.

Isabelle walked up to the mundane and answered, "They give Shadowhunters their demon fighting powers."

"So hot," the mundane babbled. Athena scoffed at the mundane. She had nothing against them, they just stuck their noses in situations that weren't any of their business.

"The rune," Clary said, clearing her throat.

"Don't worry, Clary. Athena and I'll watch over the best friend. In fact, I was just about to make breakfast," Isabelle chuckled.

Athena glared at Isabelle. She did not want to hang out with the mundane. Athena liked being in the thrill of things, but perhaps getting to know Isabelle and the mundane wouldn't be too bad.

Jace inhaled, "On second thought, the runes might be less lethal."

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that," Isabelle sighed.

"Please excuse my brother's lack of manners. This is Alec and Athena," Isabelle said, gesturing to them, "and I'm Isabelle." Isabelle extended her runed arm out to Simon. He gently shook her hand before releasing his hand from her grip

"Lewis. Simon, Simon Lewis. Two first names. Am I still talking?" Simon babbled. Isabelle and Athena chuckled at the boy's flustered state.

"See? Best friend's safe and sound here." Jace commented.

"Jace, if anything happens to him..." Clary trailed.

"Go on, I'll be fine. I think," Simon declared. Isabelle chuckled at Simon again, her light laugh making Athena smile.

Athena tugged on Isabelle's arm while Jace whispered to Simon and Athena, "Hey, uh...don't eat the food. Dangerous." Athena laughed at Jace as Izzy tugged Simon across the wooden floorboards of the institute. Athena quickly picked up her pace to keep up with the black-haired Shadowhunter.

-

"SO, um... what happens to humans if they're... runed?" Simon asked. He was beginning to get on Athena's nerves, but she tried not to show it.

She placed herself onto the silky sheets of Izzy's bed and answered, "They usually die. Sometimes they go crazy. When that happens, we call them the Forsaken. Then Shadowhunters kill them."