Well...Not Anymore: Chapter 13

Start from the beginning

"Seriously?" I ask her confusedly, wondering what in the hell is going on in Lucas' mind. This is the girl that he ditched his best friend for; why is he avoiding her now? They've been together for so long now. Why is he throwing it away now? 

But even though I do feel awfully for her-I know good and well how hurtful Lucas' avoiding is-hearing this does kind of perk me up a bit. She's one of the sweetest girls I've ever met and I hate that she's hurting, but does this mean that Lucas is going to be single soon? Although I know he'd never date me because he doesn't see me that way, it does hurt a lot seeing the two of them together. The jealousy I feel around the two of them is beyond ridiculous. 

She nods sadly, and I look on in horror as I see her big brown eyes start to fill with glistening unshed tears. Not wanting her to cry because I just can't see such a perky and happy girl that sad, I shake my head and say hastily, "Let's not think about it, okay? We can, we can..." 

She cuts me off, her voice sounding scratchy, just like mine does when I'm about to cry. She says, "We used to never shut up, Naomi-never! And now he just never wants to talk to me. I don't know what I did wrong, I really don't. I mean, I gave him everything! Everything! He used to say he loved me every single day, multiple times, and I haven't heard it from him in weeks." 

By this time big, fat crocodile tears are rolling down her rosy cheeks, making my heart swell up in sympathy for her. Before I can even stop myself, I clamber off of her bed and make my way to her, wrapping my arms around her in the most comforting way possible. I'm not very good at doing this with people, letting them talk their problems to me, but I know that I can't just sit here and watch her cry. 

I tell her, "You're too good for him, Destiny. Okay? And even though you are and you do deserve better, I can tell you that he does love you. He gave up a lot to be with you, and..." 

She sniffles pathetically before cutting me off, "I really am sorry about that, you know. I never meant to steal your best friend." 

"What?" I ask, my arms falling from around her shoulders. She knew? She knew that we were best friends? Well, I guess everyone did know seeing as how we were never separated, but I honestly believed that she just didn't know that she split the two of us up.  

She angles her head so that she can look me in the face and says, "I know about him leaving you because of me and I'm so sorry. It's partly my fault." 

"Partly?" I inquire, moving just a bit further away from her. 

Looking completely ashamed of herself, she mutely nods and continues, "I was just so jealous of the relationship you two had...it made me feel like he was going to leave me for you. So I...I kind of asked him not to hang around you anymore." 

Most of that sympathy I had for her previously melts away, settling instead into a smoldering pile of anger at the golden couple. Although I can somewhat understand why she'd say that-I'd have a little problem with my boyfriend spending a bunch of time with another girl-I still think she should have found an insanely different way to approach that. One that didn't remove Lucas completely from my life. 

And I also find myself angry at Lucas; angry for him listening to her and leaving me just because she told him to. He let a girl, no matter how completely beautiful this girl is, kick me out of his life. A girl that he'd only known for just a few weeks was able to get him to ditch me, a girl he'd known since third grade.  

Maybe I do like that he now somewhat has a reason for ditching me, but I do not like the reason one little bit. When I get back to that boy's house so that I can get my things and get the hell out of there, he's getting yet another piece of my mind. I cannot believe he let this little blonde girl control who he was friends with. This is taking whipped to a whole other level.