Chapter 1

Everyone knew me as the girl who spent most of her time riding the waves at the beach. I was often called Surfer Girl or Beach Babe, but I saw myself as 16-year old Katherine Roberts.

The beach was simply my second home. I enjoyed the feeling of the warm sand feeling on my feet, and the rush you feel while you're riding a wave. I forgot all my troubles there.

It's the year 1962, and surfing is becoming popular in the U.S. Surprisingly, I began surfing 2 years ago and loved it since. I was urged to dye my hair blonde because I would perfectly fit the perfect surfer girl image. I had light blue eyes and lightly tanned skin, but had medium-dark brown hair at the time.

One day, I decided to go surfing with my older brother Greg, his friend Andy, and my friend, Cassie. We were at the beach from the early morning till sunset, and talked about beach music and surfing.

My parents allowed me to surf with my brother, only because I got all A's in my subjects and worked at home. My mother wanted me to compete in beauty pageants, just like she did at my age. While father, didn't mind me at the beach. He only worried about boys. But that was my brother's job!

I unexpectedly got the news my family was moving out of Long Beach, and up to Hawthorne, California. I was happy that it was still in sunny California, but sad to leave my surfer friends. All I hoped for was a good high school, beach, and friends.