chapter nine

"im surprised that you even wanted to stay." my aunt jillian said as i approached the car. i gave her a weird smile. she handed me my bag and nodded her head in the direction of dylan and zach. "why weren't you with them?" she asked. "i was just going to." i said. that was a lie. i was just having an emotional breakdown, and was no where near wanting to hang out with them. but it was better than telling aunt jillian what was really going on. "deputy called me and told me about what happened this morning." she quietly said, staring at her steering wheel. i had nearly forgotten what happened. "oh." was all i could say. "john's not really like that, trust me. he just, gets attached to something or starts to love something and he can't let go of it easily." her voice cracked as she spoke. i didn't say anything. how could he claim that he got "attached" or "loved me so much" if that was only my second day at their house? it was more than that. he was a creep and a crazy one at that. "well, i have to get home and make dinner. deputy is going to bring you back tomorrow. be good, and talk with the boys. make friends." she smiled. i nodded, and stepped away from the car, as she drove off slowly.

i threw my bag on the couch inside the house, and took out the now done pizzas. when i grabbed plates and napkins, i looked out the kitchen window to find the boys talking to a girl. i was curious too know who it was, so after i set the table, i went out into the yard. "there you are." dylan said, smiling. "hey" i sighed. "this is leah." dylan pointed to the girl. she smiled. leah? i said in my head. the name sounded familiar. it took me a few minutes to realize where i heard it. "leah, i think i know your mom!" i said, excitingly. "you do?" she asked. i nodded. "she works at that diner a few towns away from here. she served me and the deputy, and she said she had a daughter named leah, and that when i came here, i'd probably meet her." i smiled. "that would be my mom." she replied. i took out my hand. "my names katie, nice to meet you." i said, and shook her hand. "her and these two other girls normally come out and hang with us. i'm sure you'll meet the other ones eventually." dylan said. i was surprised zach hadn't said a word since the scene before i went in the house. instead, he just looked at his feet, never making direct eye contact.
"so leah, tell me about yourself." i said. she sighed. "well, everyone in town, even out of town has heard about the murder that took place here, so me and my two other friends, brianna and anbrin thought we would come explore, because we were told this place was empty. but then when we found out that people lived here, we started to head back home, until we met dylan and zach, and sooner or later became friends." she said, finally taking a breath. something about her story didn't seem right, but then again, it was a believable story. "oh." was all i managed to say. "we've known them for a couple of months now, and im sure you'll get to know and meet the other ones sometime." dylan repeated.
just as he finished, courtney pulled into the driveway. "well, it was nice meeting you! tell your mom i said i found you! she should remember me. ill see you around!"i said, before waving and waking toward the house. the boys said there goodbyes  as well, and quickly followed behind me. "boys, can you get the bags in the trunk for me." courtney said smiling. they did as they were told as we entered the house. "you didn't have to set up the table you know." courtney said. i just shrugged.
we sat down and starting eating. it was really awkward, because no one was taking. "so, boys how do you like katie so far?" courney asked, wiping the side of her mouth with a napkin. i looked at her. yeah what a great question to ask i thought to myself. "she's cool. she listens to me, and she's nice." dylan said, smiling. i wasn't really concerned about what he was going to say, i was more concerned about zach. "well, i don't like her! ever since she's been here, she acts like she knows everything and she gets all of the attention just because of what happened to her mom! well i have an abusive father and that's not much better, so she should stop acting like everything revolves around her, and face the fact that her mom is most likely dead!" zach screamed. i sat there, staring at my plate, while tears slowly started to stroll down my face. "zachary collins go in your room right now! that's no way to talk to a guest, or anyone for that matter!" courtney was standing and raised her voice. zach just pounded his way up into his room.
the words hurt. and i hated crying over it. i wasn't weak, i wasn't a crybaby. it's the whole situation. i just wanted to go home. i wanted my mom.
"please excuse me." i said, getting up and heading to the back door. the sun was setting as i sat at the swings, crying. i realized how much i hadn't been thinking about my mom. there was still no information, but then again, was everyone hiding it from me? my sad tears, slowly became angry tears, as i sat on the swing, numb to everything around me.

yay ! i updated. it was kinda short but i needed an update (: