Chapter 16: Anywhere Else Than Here Today

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Lydia," said Tolfdir, somewhat surprised at Lydia's outburst. "Now, I have assignments here for each of you. Elspeth, why don't you see if you can assist Arniel Gane? He's one of our scholars, here working on cataloging our finds. I expect he'd appreciate some help in locating any additional magical artifacts here in the ruins. Lydia can go with you."

Elspeth and Lydia left the rest of the group, heading deeper into the ruin. They found Arniel in one of the passageways, immersed in his research. "Arniel?" said Elspeth. "Tolfdir sent me to help you."

Arniel looked less than pleased at being interrupted. He turned and lowered his gaze to them. "Ah, yes. You. I remember you. You're going to help? That's fine. Just... Just don't make a mess of my work. I've only looked through a portion of this section. You, uh, you can look around in the chambers just north of here. Try to be careful, all right? We don't want to damage anything." He handed her a notebook and a pen. "Take this and log any all the enchanted items you can find."

Elspeth and Lydia walked into the chambers he indicated. Elspeth threw a magelight up and they began inspecting the room for artifacts. Lydia found several small rings, but otherwise the room was mostly bare. They turned a corner and came upon a brightly lit sealed door on which Elspeth found an ancient amulet. She removed the amulet to make a note of its enchantment and as she did so, a steel gate went up behind her, trapping her and Lydia in the small alcove. She gasped and ran to the gate. "Tolfdir! We're trapped in here." Elspeth tugged at the gate, but it wouldn't budge.

"What in the world was that racket? Is everything all right?" Tolfdir approached the newly sprung gate. "What happened?" he asked.

"I pulled an amulet off the wall," she said. "I'm sorry!" Her voice was filled with worry and guilt.

"Don't worry, my dear." Tolfdir looked thoughtful for a moment. "Perhaps the amulet is important in some way. Is there some way you can use it?"

Elspeth looked around; Lydia had inspected the walls for a handle or lever but found nothing. It seemed there was little she could do other than try to use the amulet, which she put over her head slowly. As soon as the talisman touched her skin, the door gave off a subtle golden light and started vibrating and humming. Elspeth could feel it on her skin as well.

"Do you hear that?" asked Tolfdir. "It's some kind of resonance...between you and the wall. It must be connected to the amulet." He paused. "I wonder what effect your spells might have."

Elspeth shook her head. This was going too far. Lydia sidled up behind her and asked quietly, "Which spell are you going to use?"

"I don't think this is such a good idea," she said. "Onmund was right. Your ancestors deserve to rest in peace and this is taking a turn that isn't all that peaceful."

"Perhaps," said Lydia. "But we need to get out of here."

"Just tap it lightly with something," said Tolfdir. "Frost! Yes, a little frost won't do any damage."

Elspeth sighed and looked at them. They were both nodding in encouragement. "Fine," she said, "but just a light touch." She cast a very light frost spell at the doorway, which shattered almost instantly into several large pieces. Elspeth gasped in horror as Tolfdir came up behind them, the metal gate having been released.

"It's okay," he said, trying to sound reassuring. "We'll have Arniel find a way to restore it." He looked around and moved in toward the newly revealed chamber, "Well this is highly unusual and very interesting."

"Shouldn't we just go back?" Elspeth wasn't frightened but she was concerned about doing more damage. Her concerns fell on deaf ears, however, as Tolfdir and Lydia entered the chamber. She shook her head again and reluctantly followed them down a long, narrow cave, which was mysteriously lit with bright torches.