Chapter 25 - She's On The Hunt

Start from the beginning

‘Do what?’ He feigned innocence, to which I scoffed at and nudged him in the side with my head. I had been secretly hoping that my nudge would put him off balance and make him trip over or something else hilarious for my entertainment, but no, he just kept running as if I hadn’t even touched him.

Stupid balanced wolf.

‘Warn someone first when you’re about to jump in their mind,’ I muttered, picking my pace up a bit more.

‘Slow down tiger, we have miles to go still,’ Saxon called out, still sounding way too amused for my liking.

‘I’m not a tiger,’ was my awesome comeback.

‘Beep, beep!’ Saxon practically screamed inside my mind, causing me to jump in shock again and quickly snap in his direction as a warning.

‘What the heck is wrong with you?’

His lips curled back in a wolfish grin and I rolled my eyes, ‘That, babe, was your warning.’

‘You sir, are a genuine douche bag.’

‘That was mean,’ he mumbled, causing me to chuckle a little at his serious tone.

‘And beeping in my head wasn’t?’ I countered.

‘Just warning you that I was about to speak,’ he chuckled again as he dodged a low hanging branch and I couldn’t help but wish he had ran head on into it. Not that it probably would have stopped him though, he does have a massive sized head to store all that self-loving in.

‘What do you want Saxon?’ I groaned loudly, letting him clearly know I was not amused.

‘I'm just curious why you didn’t go to your family for help?’ he asked softly and I rolled my eyes as he continued, ‘You only gave me a vague answer before.’

I thought about it quickly and for some reason I didn’t want to admit that the girl we were hunting is Brody’s mate, Brody would kill me if I gave Saxon that kind of ammo against him.

‘You were just the one I wanted. I didn’t even think of my family at the time, only just getting to you,’ I admitted, it was the truth, just the truth with a huge chunk of information left out of it.

‘You’re leaving something out,’ he grunted, almost angrily and I glanced over at him, staring at his face for a bit too long and almost didn’t see the big boulder I was approaching at a fast pace until he motioned with his head for me to turn and look.

Crap! Using my back legs, I pushed up off the ground and sailed over the large jagged rock, my paws never missing a beat as they touched back down and I continued running. I chose to ignore Saxon’s little comment and see if he would just drop it or not.

If he didn’t, well then I would have to come up with a quick responded and awesome lie.

The sun was starting to set in the distance, casting a dull orange glow over the wide opened fields spread out before us. A gentle breeze blew the long strands of wild grass, creating a Mexican wave effect. Saxon was keeping in contact with Vance, who was ringing ahead and asking certain Alpha’s for permission for us to pass through with no hassles.

So far, two of them had given us permission and we had no encounters with wolves defending their territories. I think they appreciated the common courtesy of us asking before we entered their lands.

‘Heard back yet?’ I asked as I stared out over the field, searching for where it ends, but I couldn’t see.

‘Permission has been denied so far, the Alpha has heard of me and thinks I’m here to start trouble,’ Saxon mumbled, not very impressed as a low growl vibrated through his chest.