Jaydon had caught some of his mood and looked up, cream and red cherry paste covering his face and making him look like a clown. A large dollop of white cream wiggled on his nose. “What just happened?”

“Nothing,” Ralem said bitterly. The Queen, and Lauri cast him sympathetic glances but he dodged them like arrows, fixedly staring at the floor, “Lauri, can we get it over with?” She nodded curtly and stood up. Ralem followed and Jaydon (after taking one last lick of the pie plate) got up and ambled after them.

As she opened the door to the courtyard, Lauri sighed and gazed out at the beautiful garden, glittering with vibrant flowers and vines. Trees sighed and swayed over several children playing hide and seek. “Beautiful isn’t it?” she asked. When Ralem didn’t reply she began, “This place was not always like this. It used to be barren as a dessert. The city was small and destitute. But then came the Rider and dragon that changed it all for us. Well, I wasn’t born yet, this was well before my time; but anyway a Vita Dragon and Rider took residence in this city. They had been forced to flee from the King of Vulnaire, who had taken a fancy to have a dragon head on his wall. We, however took them in and protected them. The dragon had not been very large or seemingly very powerful, but the second it landed here in peace the whole land changed. Plants flourished and even the weather changed, turning into almost paradise. We had been given the blessing of a Vita dragon, one of the rarest dragons of all time, except for of course the Rex dragon,” –she glanced at Jaydon- “In reality the blessing came in the form of a seed the dragon had given. The king was instructed to carefully plant it, and that as long as this country was friendly towards the dragon kind, and as long as they let the plant grow, that this country would be blessed.” She led them down a winding sidewalk and she stopped in front of a massive tree with gnarly long boughs that extended toward the sun. The leaves were a brilliant purple and heavy, pear-shaped fruit hung from the leafy branches. Jaydon reached out for one of the fruits, but Lauri gently pushed his arm away. “The fruits intensify a dragon’s powers. In your case, I do not think that would be a good idea. But Ralem, you can try if you wish.” Jaydon made a sour face as Ralem grabbed a fruit. It popped off the branch and rested heavily in his hand. The outside was firm and warm. The smell emanating off it was intoxicatingly delicious and enticing.  He took a bite and instantly the flavors intensified in his mouth and his taste buds were set alight. Power surged through him as if he had been struck by lightning. He doubled over and the fruit dropped from his hand. The world spun and darkened like a leering face. The last thing he saw was Jaydon and Lauri’s concerned faces.

“Wha?” He opened his eyes and Lauri exhaled. “I guess it’s not a good thing for you either.”

“Are you kidding? That was amazing!” He reached for the fruit but Jaydon kicked it out of his reach. He tried to get mad but his brain was too fuzzy for that. He slowly staggered to his feet, “I feel like I can move a mountain!” He raised his arms and the air responded willingly to his call. The wind spiraled and whipped through the trees, blowing children over and making the fountain spray water all the surrounding area, making the rust colored pathway appear blood red. Drunk with power, Ralem lunged for the rest of the fruit. The air was was whooshed out of him as Jaydon tackled him and pinned him to the ground. His eyes blared a fierce green. The wind died as if someone had snuffed it out. Ralem struggled, but his dragon was too strong. Jaydon finally got off Ralem and shook himself off, “You could’ve killed yourself using all that power.”

Ralem shook his head, his brain suddenly cleared, “I don’t know what came over me. I’m sorry,” he mumbled.

Lauri nodded slowly, eyeing him like he was a strangely striped fish, “Interesting. There is much we need to learn about Rex dragon and Riders. I had no idea you would react this way to the Dracofructus. I’m sorry.” She extended a hand and Ralem took it, suddenly tired. He was surprised at how strong her grip was. “I’ve told you the basic things; this tree, the beginning of Baroque. Now I must move on to what our purpose is now. No, its not to eat pies or take money from the people, not that these are bad things. But we have a purpose here. To protect the country, people and their livestock, and this precious tree. Notice that it is not guarded. This is to remind the people of our link with the dragons. Although they are strictly forbidden to eat of the fruit, they can walk around it and admire it. But we ensure the wellbeing of the tree and harvest its fruits for the Riders and dragons to enjoy. I advise you only drink only diluted forms of the cider we make.”