Sienna and I stare at each other with uncertainty. Piper’s knees tremble.

“Both of you will sit on the floor. Hands behind your backs. Now.”

Sienna slowly sits down, too afraid to make any sudden movements. I show the slightest bit of hesitance. What if I attack, could I free Piper before I do any serious pain? What if Piper has something planned, and she’s only pretending to be in pain?

The Official twists Piper’s arm ever harder. Piper gasps and her knees give away. The Official is practically holding up all of her weight.

I scramble to sit, placing my hands on the cool door behind me. The Official nods.

He carefully places Piper on the floor, laying her by our feet. He takes three steps away.

He continues, “This girl must sit next to you the same way.”

Piper crawls towards me. She seems to be okay. More shocked and terrified than hurt. He arm wobbles slightly and she leans against the door.

“I will be leaving. After I turn this corner, you will all go back to your rooms. You will be hearing from us soon. I apologize for all of this, but I couldn’t let anything happen that would attract any other Officials’ attention.” He turns on his heel and strides, almost runs, down the hall. He flips on his flashlight and disappears around the corner.

We sit there. Motionless. The last trace of his light beam vanishes on the wall. Why did the Official leave us? Is he going to get more Officials? Maybe he just wants us back in the girls’ Complex before we are dragged away. What are we supposed to do? How are we supposed to get back to the girls’ Complex without Josh?

Sienna recovers first. She stands uncertainly. I hastily join her. Piper is the last to stand, gingerly clutching her arm.

Piper whispers, “It was almost like he didn’t want to hurt me. Like…I don’t know how to describe it but…he was almost gentle.”

If he didn’t want to hurt her, why did he? ‘I didn’t want to let anything happen that would attract any other Officials’ attention.’ What’s that supposed to mean? Wouldn’t he want more Officials to come, since he found three rebels?

A figure darts out from behind a door. Josh. Where was he?

His face is red, his breaths coming out fast. “What happened? I’m so sorry.” He pauses in between words to take fast breaths. “I came as fast…as I could…I got pushed out of the door…when we were attacked…It closed so I had to come a different way…”

I quickly tell him everything that happened. Piper once again repeats that she thinks the Official was trying to be gentle. Josh frowns. “So…he asked for your numbers. You prepared to fight. He captured Piper. Made you sit down. Release Piper. And left.”

We nod. Piper says, “It’s true. Why would we lie about this? We’re just as confused as you are.”

Josh hesitantly says, “You could be in the Unknown tomorrow. I guess if you get sent there, try to find Canton and Dana, and try to find a way to escape.”

I try not to think about Piper’s idea. The Unknown might only be an imaginary place and the Officials kill the rebels instead.

Josh adds, “It could also be possible that you found something that Canton and I have been searching for, ever since we started rebelling. You could have found disloyal Officials.”

“Disloyal Officials? Those don’t exist.” Sienna says certain.

What about Dawn? Is she considered ‘disloyal’? Should I say something? But then I’d have to explain all the mistakes I’ve made that she’s fixed. I’d have to explain to them why I haven’t told them earlier. Besides, we have to talk as little as we can in the hallways. It’s not a good time. I’ll tell them soon.