Chapter 5. Silence

Beginne am Anfang

After a few more minutes they began feeling tired from the long day they had. "Tomorrow, carrots. I'll call Bogo and tell him we found something before we go to work. Okay?" Nick said and yawned as he went to the bathroom to brush his teeth. Judy was in her pajamas and went to the bedroom, nick followed, closed the door, and turned off the lights.
"Goodnight, Nick." Judy said.
"Goodnight, carrots." Came the reply, and both fell silently asleep.

The next morning, Nick opened his eyes a crack and saw the alarm clock. It was 11:45 in the morning, and softly nudged Judy, who was still out like a light. "Hey, Judy." He whispered, and noticed her nose twitch a little. "Carrots." He whispered again. This time she opened her eyes a little, and groaned.
"Wha.....what time is it?" she asked as she stretched.
"It's almost twelve." He said calmly.
"Almost twelve?.....sweet cheese and crackers! We're late!" she exclaimed as she jumped out of bed and raced into the bathroom, which surprised Nick who fell onto the floor with a loud 'thud!'
"I'm going to make us some coffee and breakfast." Nick said as he heard the water running, and proceeded into the kitchen. He started making a fruit salad with some carrot slices, lettuce, and some pieces of strawberries and apples for Judy. He made himself a different salad with more fruit then vegetable's, including blueberries.....extra blueberries! When the water turned off, he was halfway done with his salad and coffee. They were both done getting ready and finished their salads, when Nick called Bogo at the ZPD. "I'm really sorry for being late, sir." Nick said.
"I hope you have a good reason to be, Officer Wilde?" came the response.
"Last night, Judy and myself went and investigated the rundown business there on 83rd and Springway. Well, when we went to Jakes house, he gave us a key that opened a safe that we found in that building. Inside was a map and key that could hold some clues to this case." Nick explained. "We accidentally stayed up late examining these." He added.
"I guess that is a good reason to be late, I look forward to seeing these items within the next hour, understood?" Bogo said.
"Yes, sir." and both hung up. "Well, carrots. We're not in too much trouble, thank goodness." Nick said with a sigh of relief as they went out the door.

Every day, they drove a patrol car and took the same route to work. "Did you remember the map and key, Nick?" Judy asked as she sat in the passenger's seat.
"I've got them right here, carrots." He replied and patted his pocket. Up ahead some road work signs were up, and construction crew were working on part of the road, while one of them directed traffic to detour onto a bridge to the right. "We still have 45 minutes before we are to be at work, carrots." He said noticing that she was a little agitated, and began making his turn. When all of a sudden, the car was thrown to its side and began sliding! A big rig had run full speed into them from the left side and was pushing them further on the bridge, while three other vehicles blocked any more traffic from proceeding, while they were rolling over and over from the force of the impact, but the big rig wasn't stopping and was attempting to push them off the bridge and into the bay!

The dust finally settled around them, Nick was bleeding from the right side of his face and felt some pain in his arm. He looked over at Judy, and saw that she was above him but still in her seat, and buckled in. "c-carrots?" he asked feeling dizzy and confused, but didn't get an answer. He unbuckled himself and looked behind them, armed enemies got out of the other vehicles and began walking towards them, but couldn't see their faces due to the masks they wore. "We've got to go, carrots!" Nick said as he unbuckled Judy, gently removed her from the seat, and laid her down on the ground behind their vehicle. Nick knew she was unconscious and had to protect her, drawing his weapon and opened fire upon their attackers who returned fire. It was an all-out war on that bridge, blood and shell casings lay scattered along the road, and some were buried beneath bodies.
It was then, Judy slowly began opening her eyes. Everything was blurry due to the shock of the accident, and a sharp ringing in her ears was all that she could hear. Looking to her left, she noticed Nick standing above her, and reached out to his side.
Feeling something tugging at him, he looked down and saw Judy, regaining consciousness as bullets were flying through the air in all directions towards and away from Nick and Judy's position. He got down on his knees and handed her both the map and key. "Stay here, I'll draw their fire." He said. Judy then noticing the bad cut on his face, and blood running from his arm. "You.....your injured, Nick!" she worried.
"It's nothing that won't heal, carrots." He replied, and sprinted towards another vehicle that was abandoned to his right when the chaos erupted. Judy looked over her shoulder and saw a dozen or more enemies with fully automatic weapons spread around the other side from them, and some were laying on the ground in a pool of blood. She un-holstered her weapon and began firing. Two more were dropped by her weapon and the third was hit in his shoulder and retreated.
"Get out of here, carrots! Get that key to Bogo!" Nick yelled at her.
"I won't leave you, Nick! You're my partner and aren't getting left behind!" she replied and kept firing. Nick then ran out of ammunition, and looked over at Judy. Suddenly in the corner of his eye, he caught sight of something sailing through the air towards the patrol car. "What is....." he thought before realizing that it was a grenade, thrown at their car. Judy was still behind it reloading her weapon! He dropped his and began sprinting towards Judy as the grenade bounced once, twice, three times towards her. Getting closer and closer, but so was he. She looked and saw him racing towards her.
"What are you....." but was interrupted.
"CARROTS! GET DOWN!" he screamed as he grabbed her, turned his back towards the car, and attempted to get her out of there. The grenade hit the back of their vehicle and exploded, making it nothing but flames and debris. The shockwave sent both Nick and Judy into the air, he cupped her in his arms and took the full force of the impact that left him unconscious. When Judy opened her eyes just a crack, she saw Nick on his side a few feet away from her, motionless like a ragdoll thrown to the ground. She tried reaching for him, but he was just out of reach, and he was then being dragged away from her by the same assailant's that tried to push them off the bridge.
"Nick....." she said weakly before blacking out. She could hear everything around her,
"call 911!" from some civilian's. She could feel some pain from something going in and out of her skin, almost like a sewing needle. Then everything drowned out and was silent.