THIRTEEN

INCOMING CALL FROM CUTIE
 [ACCEPT]                   DECLINE  

"hello?"

"nova!"

"audrey."

"are you okay? you have been asleep for nearly eighteen hours, with the exception of meals. sophie told me. do you know how worried i've been?"

"you worry about me?"

"of course i do, we are friends now."

"well, i'm okay."

"you don't sound very okay."

"well, i'm sick and my nose is full of snot, of course i don't sound okay."

"no need to sound snappy."

"sorry, i'm just kind of mad at sophie for spilling the beans like that."

"well, your parents should know about you being bullied or whatever."

"i'm handling it, and if they knew they would either bring me home or send me to another school. i like this school, i really do. i like living with sophie in our dorm and i like lacrosse and i don't really like the uniform or the other students, but i don't know if i want to leave. i remember what lakewood is like, i go home for every important holiday and i don't feel at home there. i love my family, i love my house, but it's not home."

"i get it, home isn't a place, it's a feeling."

"yeah! i just don't feel that feeling, like ever. i feel content when i am with sophie, but i also feel content when i am with jake. i don't feel okay when i'm alone, so i know that i shouldn't live alone anywhere. i just don't think i'm ready to come back to lakewood and live there permanently yet."

"well, when you're ready, i'll beat down everyone at school who dares to be rude to you."

"thank you, audrey."

"anytime."