Chapter 2: Betrayal Again

"Catalina!"

The Assassin gasped as her eyes shot open, her dream evaporating into an abyss. She blinked and grunted from the bright sunlight filling her room through a wide open window. She sat up and looked around before her brown eyes landed on a familiar young man at her door. "Ezio, what are you doing here? How did you get in my home?" she asked in bewilderment.

"No time to explain. Get dressed! We've got little time to perform this mission!" he said urgently. He grabbed her armor and robes from the wardrobe as she jumped out of bed. She caught her robes when he tossed them to her before stripping out of her nightgown. She didn't care if he saw her naked. There wasn't time to worry and he didn't seem to be bothered by it.

With his help, she got her armor on quickly. She put on her boots before following him out of the window. She rolled when she hit the ground below. As soon as they were both up, they sprinted down the road. "So, what is going on?" she asked as she followed him.

He glanced back at her. "A Templar slipped into our order and is going to poison Sargon!"

Sargon was an Assassin from Syria. He came while traveling a few years ago and decided to stay after falling in love with Italia.

"Why him?" she muttered. He was a very interesting person and always had entertaining stories to tell from his travels. How could anyone want to kill him? A thought hit her. "Who is it?"

Ezio didn't reply right away and she dreaded the answer. Rosa came to mind. She still felt bitter over her. The event had happened two years ago. After that day, she disappeared. Catalina had given up on trying to figure things out after a few months of sleepless nights and dead ends in research. If she wasn't meant to understand how she became a traitor, then so be it.

********************
Sargon stepped off the boat onto the dock after Bello. They had just returned from fetching some new wine barrels for the birthday party they had planned for Catalina.

Bello smiled as he poured some from a bottle given as a gift. He had brought cups for both of them. "Let's try it," he said as Sargon watched some storm clouds on the horizon. Bello took advantage of his distraction to pour the poison in from a small leather pouch. After stirring it with his finger a bit, he called to Sargon. The Assassin smiled as he looked at him.

"I hope it is good. I don't want her party to be ruined by bad wine."

************************

"It's Bello, isn't it?" she guessed as the man came to mind.

"I'm sorry, Catalina," Ezio apologized as he stopped to look at her. They were now at the clearing in front of the Palazzo Ducale di Venezia. "I know you loved him."

She huffed immediately. "You, too? We were just friends! A man and woman can be best friends without having it be a relationship, stronzo!" she snapped, angry at the assumptions that had reached her master. He smiled, finding her outburst amusing. She glared at him. "Well, where is he?"

"Bello is over there." He pointed out the man standing beside Sargon on one of the docks, offering a cup to him. Seeing this shot anger and adrenaline through her body. "Sargon!" she shouted as she sprinted her way across the large clearing. Sargon didn't hear her and sipped from the cup. Bello smiled innocently.

Catalina pushed people out of her way before grabbing a knife from her pouch and tossing it, praying it would strike the cup like in the image in her head. She missed but it was enough to gain their attention. They looked over at her and immediately Sargon realized what was happening as his throat tightened. He grabbed his throat as he fought for air.