Restart

-1-

"Hello", said Maxime.

She was startled. She knows that voice. As she turned, she saw him. She finally said "Hi," in a stutter.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine. What are you doing here? It has been two years since I last saw you, we were still in college back then."

"Actually, I stopped college. I just wanted to work and help in the family business. I have a Pet Shop nearby."

"You are already living here?"

"No, I still live in Marseille. I just came here to visit the branch of my Pet Shop."

"Oh."

"So, how's everything? Are you already married?"

"No." Kate laughed. "I am still waiting." She bit her tongue, she shouldn't have said that.

"I just saw your gallery yesterday, I love your photos, especially the ones taken in the beach."

"Really? I'm glad you loved it." Then she saw him lighting a cigarette. "You know, you should not smoke. It is bad for your health. I told you that before." Then Maxime immediately threw his pack of cigarettes to the trash.

"I hope you really stop that."

"Yes, for my health." Maxime said, mimicking Kate's voice. "How about you? You seem very busy before I came."

"Yeah, I was checking my notes. We had exams a while ago."

"So how was it? Was it good?"

"I hope. I reviewed for this."

"You'll do good, then you can come with me to Paris."

Here he goes again, talking about the future with him. "Maxime, it has been two years. You should have looked for a girl in France."

Maxime sighed. "You still don't like me? Don't you?"

"It's not that. I just think that you can find another girl. There are many who are better than me."

"Yes, but they do not have your kindness."

"But they are more beautiful, like models."

"I look at the beauty of the heart and not the physical."

"So you are not dating anyone right now?"

"No one. Are you already dating someone else? Is that why you have turned me down once again?"

"None, I just think the two of us would not work. We did not talk for two years, many has changed. You should find another girl."

"Yeah, I guess. Anyway, I have to go. Bye." He kissed her on the cheeks, went to his car which was just across the road, and drove away.

-End of chapter 1-