Chapter Eight- Frenemies

Start from the beginning

Rightfully, since I'm next in line, I have the right to challenge my Uncle to the role but he has made sure that I am in no condition to hurt a fly. Just as I was thinking this, I felt a burning sensation wash over my body. I looked down my body and I found that  the ends of my golden hair were glowing. My eyes widened with shock and my mouth formed an "O" shape.

I screamed and ran outside. The glowing instantly stopped and I took a deep breath. I was imagining  it, that's all, I tried to reassure myself. I decided to go for a walk since Richard and Gertrude weren't home yet, and I was getting worried. Not for them of course but for the fact something serious must be happening.

I debated whether to change into my wolf form but decided it would take too much energy so I stuck with my human body. I was a bit on edge from the stillness and quiet around me. I walked around the whole suburb and found all houses empty, even Jaime's house. I went from being paranoid to full on freaking out in a matter of seconds and tried to think of where everyone could be.

Calming myself and taking deep breaths I decided to check the old barn in the forest where we used to hold pack meetings. it was a five minute  walk from where I was so I decided to jog it. I arrived at the gate two minutes later and jumped over it so it didn't squeak and make a noise. I quietly tiptoed up to the large barn and started hearing voices from a few yards back. I made it to the side window and peeked in to see what was happening. 

It seemed  to be a pack meeting but everyone was here, which was really odd. Usually it was just the elders or adults that came but everyone was here. Children, Teens, Toddlers, babies, Adults. Everyone. I decided to listen to what My Uncle-who was standing at the front- was saying when a hand suddenly wrapped around my mouth and an arm around my waist.

I struggled in the persons arms but couldn't break free. I then smelt the scent on this persons skin and realised it was Jaime. I relaxed and he released me. Quickly spinning around, I kicked him in the shin and gave him my hardest glare. He started jumping around holding his leg where I had kicked it.

"What the hell are you sneaking up on me for, you idiot!" I whisper-yelled. He looked at me with an annoyed look, now seeming to have recovered.

"Jesus! Would you have preferred it if I called out to you and we get caught, by the way I'm sorry I didn't tell you about this meeting I thought you already knew or something," He scratched his chin " I can update you with whats happening but your not going to like it," He sighed " Why don't we go for a walk and I'll tell you,"

I nodded and we headed into the forest.

****

We arrived at the local creek ten minutes later and that's when Jaime started to talk.

"Okay Gaby, would you like the good news or the bad news first?" He questioned I thought about it for a few seconds.

"The bad news, That's what they always choose in the movies right?" He nodded at me as if to agree.

"Okay, the bad news. I am actually surprised myself that it took this long but the "pieta" pack are planning an attack on our land and taking it for their own," I nodded, this wasn't surprising.

"Why do you think it took them so long, Jaime?" He ran a hand through his hair and I shifted my feet awkwardly. " I mean, it's been four whole years since... the incident happened," I blurted the last bit out.

"Don't know Gaby, maybe because out of respect for the death of our leader, maybe because they don't see us as a threat but rather as a nuisance," He thought for a second " Or maybe they just couldn't take action because they have been lost after the death of their own leader. It's a complicated but yet a simple problem," I nodded in agreement.